1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out as Genderqueer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LOHAC, May 31, 2014.

1. LOHAC

Out Status:
    A few people
    so i have been Genderqueer for a while (most of my life) and i am finding it hard to come out to people, thinking they'll take me as a joke. even my own girlfriend doesn't know about it! my family makes fun of me constantly for the way i dress and says i'm 'abnormal' which only makes it harder to try and tell them. i am afraid to ask for someone to help me buy a binder or clothes, knowing they'll think it weird.:icon_sad: i was wondering if anyone had any advice for me?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think what might help you is to start coming out to somebody who you trust, and know will support you, no matter what. Coming out to somebody who supports you, will not only give you a confidence boost, but it will also give you the feeling that it is okay to come out as genderqueer. It would also be that friend, who could help you in buying a binder, or at least provide the support by going with you, when you want to buy it.

Try to build up some support before you come out to your family. It sounds like that they might need a bit of time, to understand that there is nothing wrong about being genderqueer. You are the best person to educate them, because you are speaking from your own experience, about your feelings and what they mean to you. (*hug*)