1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out when Introverted

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tardis221B, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

Does anyone else relate to this?

I’m not too afraid of coming out because of LGBTQA related anxiety or societal stigma (of course this is some of it, but it's not the main reason I want to stay in the closet). The main reason is rather the fact that I’m “exposing myself to the world” (even if its just a few people). The lack of privacy is what makes me more uncomfortable than anything.

I am extremely introverted, but I can be very open with close friends; however I’ve never been open with my family. I never even breathed the name of my “guy crushes*” to my mom. I think part of it is that she is extremely extroverted and talks to her friends about everything, including secrets I tell her, so I guess I don’t really trust her with sensitive information. But I know my parents will be accepting, and I'm pretty sure that they already know. I just hate that I have to loose my anonymity to be fully at peace with myself.

Anyways does anyone else feel this way?

*Guy crushes - these were what I latter realized are squishes, or an intense platonic attraction.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, being introverted also it was hard coming out, the losing privacy and feeling scared it could be used against you (maybe thats just me, though), but how about a close friend or another family member you could come out to

3. Tardis221B

I've I came out my best guy friend a few weeks ago before we went home for summer and he took so well. I don't think I could have asked for a better person to come out to first, he was so supportive and kind. We ended up talking for almost an hour, and I've been messaging him since I came home.

I think I'm just a bit annoyed that "if I was straight" I wouldn't have to tell my mom these things, but because my attraction is not the norm it's important that I correct her so that she knows me better. I'm just not that big of a fan of talking about people who like romantically with my family. I'm just going to mention very casually that I like girls, and hope she doesn't make a big deal out of it.

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    lol, you could try that, keep me posted

5. Tardis221B

For sure :slight_smile: I'll post how it goes on here sometime with in the next day or so. I have a pretty strong feeling that I'm going to get a response along the lines of "Yeah we've known since you were 5." but we shall see . . .

6. thecarpenter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I definitely relate to this. I think to myself, "Do I need to tell this person?" I prefer a few deep relationships, and just coming out willy nilly is kind of letting people into something very personal to me far easier than I would like. Like you, it's not necessarily shame but kind of a desire to keep it safe with people I trust. My family don't really understand that which makes it difficult, as soon as I tell one they will most likely let another know, thinking that everyone knowing and accepting me will help when really it makes me feel I don't have control of something very personal to me.