1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did something stupid. Need advice...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stillhidden, Jun 2, 2014.

1. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey all. I wasn't originally going to make a thread, but I don't really know what to do. I can't talk to my other friends about it and definitely not my family. I did something really dumb, and it's embarrassing. I thought I'd post it in this section because it's sort of related to my coming out last month (but if it should be moved to another section, feel free).

So I came out to my best friend around a month ago - he was fantastic. Very supportive. Nothing really changed between our relationship at all; we still went to movies, hung out, texted/talked daily, etc. I used to have a big crush on him in high school and even in college, but I had finally gotten over him. Recently, he told me he got a new girlfriend, and I felt a little jealousy kick in and was a little hurt. I was mostly angry at myself for having those feelings since I thought I was over him and had moved on.

He invited me over to his apartment Saturday. We were drinking quite a bit while playing a game, and we were both having a great time. He was sitting directly next to me on his sofa. I think it was around 1am. He just kept playfully punching me in the arm because of things I was doing to him in the game, and he was smiling at me. I don't know what I was thinking, but I leaned over and kissed him. I don't mean a simple little peck on the lips either. I mean, I was basically trying to make out with him. He didn't do anything for a few seconds (I think he was just in shock), but he eventually pulled away and leaned his head in the other direction. I slowly backed away a little, and mumbled, "Sorry." He didn't say anything for a few seconds. Finally, he said he was tired and was going to go on to bed. He said goodnight, then walked from the living room into his bedroom and shut the door. I just sat there for a few minutes running what happened over and over in my head. I eventually got up and went to the guest room he had and got in bed. As you can likely guess, I didn't sleep any. I felt stupid and was pissed at what I did.

I heard him up and moving around early in the morning, so I got up and went out to see him. I was going to apologize again, but before I could even do that, he said he had to go into work for something. He wasn't really looking at me. So I got my stuff, said I'd talk to him later, then left. I went back to my apartment and basically sulked all day yesterday. I sent him a few texts (not about the kiss, but just random stuff), and never heard back from him. I'm pretty sure he lied to me yesterday morning. The entire reason why I went over to his apartment that night to drink and play games was because he was off Sunday. I think he just wanted me to leave. I'm not sure. He finally texted me today, but it was mostly simple and short replies.

I know I did something stupid, but what should I do? Should I wait for him to bring it up? I want to apologize again and tell him I was drunk and it will never happen again.

Thanks for any help you can provide this dumbass. :frowning2: :bang:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I'd write him a letter saying you are sorry, and end it by just saying you hope he can forgive you, then leave him be for a while and see what happens...

3. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was thinking about just sending him a long text message apologizing and all that, but maybe a letter would feel more personal. Hmm.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Letters are harder to ignore.

If I get a text from you and I don't want to hear from you, I won't even open it. If I get a letter from somebody I'll probably start reading it before I bother to check who it's from, at least until I can work it out from context...

5. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's a good point. I could always drop the letter in his mailbox or under his door or something. I just want things to go back to how it was before this past weekend. :frowning2:

6. Kabuki

I agree with Elli! I'm sure he knows how you felt after it happened. I mean, he must have seen how you reacted after the kiss happened. I won't say you did something bad or stupid, or anything, it happened in the spur of the moment, both were a bit drunk, so it wasn't something you would have done sober.

Write him a message or letter with an apology. He did text you back, even if they were short replies, so let him get a hold of what happened so that he can clear his head. You must have felt very embarrassed, but don't be, you weren't on full control of yourself. I'm sure he'll understand that, he has been a great friend as you described, so no need to feel frightened. Although that really is not something that can be helped, you can atleast take your time and think on ways to let him know how you feel about what happened.

I hope this is helpful :slight_smile: Don't stress yourself too much, it's not doing you any good at all, I'm sure you know. A hug man. (*hug*)

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was a major boundary violation for him, and he probably was (maybe is) unsure how to process it, and how to evaluate that experience in the context of the friendship.

So I think the only real option is as Ellia has suggested, to write a short letter or email, completely owning your behavior (NOT blaming it on the alcohol or anything else), acknowledging most of the other things you've said in this thread, recognizing what a boundary violation it was, and basically saying that you realize what you did, and how upsetting and damaging to his trust it must have been, and asking if you can be forgiven.

Keep in mind that even if he says yes -- which he may not -- this will likely change your relationship, at least for a while, and you simply have to live with that. I'd hope that if the friendship is a 10+ year one, he'll recover from it, but you'll need to be exceedingly clear with your boundaries, and you may need to rethink whether or not you're really over him or not.

In any case, I doubt this is something that you can just say your sorry and have things go back to where they were, but I do think that, if you can demonstrate over time that you can have clear boundaries, and he can see that, things will eventually return to normal.

8. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, your reply made me feel a little bit better. :slight_smile: I get into too much trouble when I drink! :bang:

Embarrassed would be an understatement. I was just really in a panic yesterday because he's friendship is very important to me, and the thought of this potentially ruining things... :frowning2: Deep down, I know this won't ruin our friendship really, but it's just something I thought about. Especially while waiting for text replies that never came. :dry:

Thanks for the hug! (*hug*)

Yeah, I guess you're right about not trying to blame the alcohol. Would be easy to just point to that and say "Sorry, I was drunk" (even though that was definitely part of it). I just hope he will forgive me. It will definitely never happen again.

9. Kabuki

I'm sure everything will be fine. You are sincerely sorry about it, you know his position too, so no need to blame yourself more than needed. Just make it clear to him, be the most sensitive when you tell him about it, let him know you understand how he felt or feels, and I'm sure everything will go right.

Real friendship doesn't get broken so easily, that's what I believe anyways.

10. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I'm going to run by his place tomorrow before he gets off work and drop a letter there. I do hope you're right. I've known this friend for a long time, so I can't imagine this really breaking our friendship. It was still a dumb thing to do, but I think/hope he'll understand and forgive me.

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just do yourself a favour, drop the letter off and GO AWAY. Seriously. Don't hang around to see if he's there or try and hand it to him personally, or something like that, just drop it off and leave. That's step one of your new dedication to boundaries.

12. Kabuki

Oh I'm most certainly sure it will go well. We can never leave out the possibility it won't, but the chances here are soooo slim that I can't even consider them. You'll see.

Good luck man! (*hug*)

13. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I'm definitely leaving before he gets home. That's part of the reason why I'm dropping it off before he gets off work.

Thanks! (*hug*)

14. calgary

I like this approach, as someone who has done stupid things (not sure this really even qualifies as that stupid) just trying to ignore that they happened rarely works. I letter is a good route to go. I'm sure things will be fine with time. Will make for a humorous story one day (but probably not for a few years).

15. Mercedes Benz

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree I think a letter is personal and the apology is much more heart felt. Ignoring something like this can only make things worse and for two really good friends I am sure this can be resolved. Don't let a friendship go to waste over something like this.

16. confuseduser99

I don't agree with Chip on this one. Good friends are still friends, and will be able to get over something like this. Yes, it was a violation of boundaries, but if you're truly friends with someone, you'll forgive and move on from this over time. I agree with ElliaOtaku. Write a letter, be sincere, sensitive and heartfelt in it, drop it off, and LEAVE! Don't stick around. He needs to read it without you being there to let him process it and think about it all.

Stay positive. Don't stress yourself out too much over this. As I told you earlier, this will all go away with time. A bump in the road nonetheless, but a rather minor one when compared to your long bond of a friendship!

Here's a hug from me to you (*hug*). Cheer up! It'll all get better soon! :slight_smile:

17. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks a lot everyone! (*hug*) A letter seems to be the best advice, so will drop it off tomorrow. And yeah, I'll leave before he gets home. I wouldn't want to just be standing there as he's reading it... That'd be a bit awkward, I think. :dry:

I guess I should prepare for him not responding to my letter immediately. He'll likely need some time to think about it. He actually texted me around 20 minutes ago telling me about something that happened with him today which is more than he's texted me the past 2 days combined. Maybe he's slowing getting over what happened. Obviously, I'm still going to drop the letter off tomorrow because I want it to be said and apologize again.

18. Kabuki

Go for it man! A letter is definitely the best bet, and since it is a very personal thing, it will be more meaningful for him too.

See, told ya! :grin: He just needs time, I'm sure that after reading the letter he'll feel a lot better.

19. confuseduser99

I wholeheartedly agree with Kabuki! He just needs some time. The letter will make a world of a difference in my opinion.

20. calgary

Sounds like he is moving on which is good. An apology letter is a good thing just to clear the air. I'd suggest keeping it short. I wouldn't expect an immediate response. He may even take the apology and move on. It's probably the first time he has ever been kissed by a guy so can be a lot to process. Either way sounds like things are moving forward and after you leave the letter the ball is in his court and you can move on as well.