1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out After Graduation (Need help!, Long post =\ )

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Closeted17, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Closeted17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So... I've known I was gay since I was 12, and I'm basically been a bit miserable ever since. Not because I am gay, but because I've felt the need to hide it. I don't live in a place where I'm not safe, but I couldn't stand the thought of having people judge me and assume things of my personality because of something that has absolutely nothing to do with it. One of the few openly gay kids in my class is quite flamboyant and hangs out only with girls, and I just don't really enjoy most 'feminine' activities, because I'm really not that much of a stereotypical gay (okay, my voice could be a bit lower and I could love Lady Gaga less, but w.e.), and I just really didn't want others to expect this of me or try and put me in this situation. I didn't want girls to start trying to hang out with me, as I'm quite certain they would, just because I announce something that's been true all this time, as if anything's changed. I didn't want to have to deal with the few homophobic twats in my school that due to mutual 'friends' (i call them that, but after graduation I'll never see them again and I wouldn't want to see them due to their tolerance of intolerance) I basically have to sit with in some lunches due to having few seniors (therefore no real friends) at those lunches and of course I'd also hate sitting alone. I just didn't want to have to deal with this society that, especially in high school, is obsessed with stereotypes, and trying to label and categorize people because they're too foolish to tell the difference between what matters and what doesn't, and that everything is complex.

So, this Friday I am graduating, and now that I will not have to deal with the people like I've mentioned, and since I'll soon be going to university where people are more accepting (and there's more open gays, so I can actually date), I'll be coming out of the closet within the week after.

I just need some advice on how to do this. I mean, I don't know how to tell my parents that what they assumed about me isn't true. Also, my dad, as well as his side of the family (divorced parents)... well let's just say none of them have veered from their Christian indoctrination and they vote republican. However, that's kind of all I know about them even though I see them all the time. I don't know their opinions on any specific issue or how strong their religious belief is, so I really don't know how they'd react. They all seem like friendly, non-hateful people, but then again I've never seen them around a gay person... They love Jim Parson on 'The Big Bang Theory,' but then again they might just be ignorant to his sexuality.

Also, my mom... while she's not ignorant to gay people, she is ignorant to the world around her. She truly doesn't understand the discrimination that gay people have and do face, or the fear that (sometimes wrongly) accumulates in a gay child of this discrimination. Whenever gay people are mentioned she usually says something along the lines of 'I don't care that they're gay, but just be honest about it, i don't understand why you'd lie like that'.

I'm not really scared of her reaction, I just feel like she'll ask why I didn't tell her or anyone and I'll have to explain to her that I think she's an idiot with no realization of the world around her that's made me miserable.

I really need help with how to come out (where, when, how to get my parents alone, how to explain that I want them to tell their families, and really just what to expect). I've felt a mix of depression and anger since I was 12 hiding who I was and feeling alone, and as of recently I'm so ready to come out I just want to tell everybody (well, besides those high schoolers and anyone of equal maturity xD ). I did finally come out to a friend who lives a few states away (I'm a gamer, I've known him for quite a while and I trust him so much) about a month ago, and even just the one person made me so much happier than I've been most my life. Hiding who you are and being scared of how people will treat you because you're different really makes the simple right of being yourself, that everyone deserves, feel so amazing.

In addition, one of my best friends who moved away a few years ago (but I still game with) is quite an accepting and kind person, so I know he'll have no problem with it. By any chance does anyone have any type of comical way I could come out to him? I think it'll be a bit fun to blindside him, and I'll certainly have a laugh :slight_smile: .

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. Sorry for the long post with like 20 prompts throughout it, I'm just a bit nervous but also really happy to be finally doing this.

2. Hyaline

I joke with my friends that I am a "bad gay". I don't follow any of the stereotypical Hollywood "gay traits". I camp (no, I am not camp), I work on cars, I like building stuff, I don't really care about pop culture, I haven't a clue about fashion nor care much about it. The truth is, you are who you are. There is no rulebook that says you have to be friends with girls and give up the things you love because you come out. But in HS, this is tough because no matter gay or straight, you get put in one of those "groups". In HS I was in the "geek/nerd" group long before it was cool to be in that group. Thing is, my friends were too. Years later when I came out to them, none of them cared and we just went on with our lives. We still get together and talk about the same stuff we did in HS, granted there are kids/wives/mortgages etc to talk about now too. The expectations of people around you are sometimes a projection of you expect them to expect of you. Meaning, if you are gay and you tell them, they'll expect you to act gay if you act more stereotypically gay after you come out. Make sense?

In her case, it is easy to play armchair quarterback and say "I don't care and I don't know why they'd keep it a secret". Truth is, as you well know, it isn't so much about keeping the secret as it is about admitting aloud who you are. If you haven't had to go through it, its likely to be something you wouldn't understand.

It will be hard to gauge their reaction, but I suspect you'll have time to see once you come out.

Would you scold a toddler because they didn't something that you didn't want them to do because they didn't understand? I know you are likely angry and hurt, but try to be compassionate and understanding. If you do, odds are they will return it back to you. This is one of the reasons why you'll see a few of us say to "gather your thoughts" and "be prepared to answer difficult questions honestly and openly".

They would be just finding out and you've had more time than them to deal with this. Just be patient if you can.

Yay for baby steps. Telling the first person is always the most difficult. It gets easier... But it will never be "easy".

Since he is a guy, go with the "you know how I like sausage....welllll".. :slight_smile: Or something along those lines.. There are plenty of clever ways to do it. Get a shirt that says something about you being gay and skyping with him via video might be a good way...

Nervous is normal. Hang in there.. Be honest and brave and take the time you need before coming out. You need to make sure it is the right time for you. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But I am excited for you none the less...