1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wanna come out to my parents. Any thoughts on my idea on how to do it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FrenchKid98, Jun 4, 2014.

1. FrenchKid98

Hey everyone :smilewave

I wanna come out to my parents and I have two ideas on how to proceed and want your thoughts and opinions about them. Or any other ideas maybe...?

First one: seems the easiest
    I'll be in SF, California during summer and one of the weeks, I'm going to a summer camp while my parents just visit stuff. I was thinking I could write a letter, leave it in my parents room right before we leave to go to the summer camp location (Stanford) and so they find it when they come back and I'm away for a week.

But I'm afraid I might regret later on not having the guts to come out verbally. In my two coming outs to friends, I did it through Facebook each time and honestly I feel kinda like I'm not brave enough, especially when I hear about those other, sometimes younger kids out there being out and proud and having came out face to face. I even recently found out that there is (at last!) an openly gay guy at my school. He's in the grade below (I'm in 10th grade) and, from what I've heard, has been teased a bit because of it but not too much. But he had the guts to tell his mom one night before going to bed and honestly I am jealous of his braveness (is that even a word?)...

So that's where option number two came into mind. Nothing fancy: it would just be telling my mom something along the line of "Mom, I don't like girls" or "Mom, I'm gay" (but in french of course :grin:) But I don't know if I have the guts to do that... :frowning2:

So any opinions, thoughts, ideas,... ?

2. mangotree

They both sound like good ideas.
    Strangely enough, saying "I'm Gay" in your second language is easier, if you've got that option - go for it. I've come out to a few friends through sign language.
    Maybe test it out on your own to see which language is easier for saying it.

Do you have any idea how they will react?
    Do you think they'll need alone time to think about it?

A letter is by no means a cowards way out, it's a great way to get everything you want to say across and hopefully understood. Consider the timing though.

Peace be with you.

3. FrenchKid98

Thank you for your answer :slight_smile:
    For your questions:
    I don't think they'll take it too badly as they are friends with a married gay couple but my mom had a not caring cause there are more important things (even though she stated she wasn't against it) when there were the big gay marriage protests in France (Manif pour tous,...)
    Recently she also said something that could easily be understood as homosexuality is not that natural because it is not present is every species or in a tiny amount. Which of course isn't true which I told her.
    So I got mixed signals. Until recently I thought she was supportive but had no clear evidences but now with these mixed signals...
    For my dad I don't know what he thinks but my parents generally have similar opinions

Also I wanna say that I don't think that a letter is a coward way but I don't know if maybe I might regret not being as brave as some other people around me... It might be hard to understand I don't know, do you get what I mean?

#3 FrenchKid98, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A letter is best for some people because they can edit it and get what they want to say out fully and precisely before the inevitable conversation and questions start. You aren't avoiding the discussion, just deferring it until you say what you want to say, and your parents have time to confer with each other and think about what they are going to say to you before they do. Works well for some people, maybe you too.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Yossarian about the letter. Go with that.

The main thing is to do it soon. Once you start telling people on Facebook, there is a chance of it getting out and it would be bad for your parents to find out from another source.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

6. FrenchKid98

Thank you to both of you for taking the time to read my post and answer :slight_smile:

To Linco: I meant on Facebook through private messages/chat. So if it gets out that means one of my friends didn't keep quiet.....

7. mangotree

As the other 2 have said, I don't think speaking it is any braver than a letter.
    Different people have different communication preferences.
    Just an example, but generally more out-going or extroverted people find speaking out loud a lot more natural, whereas shyer or introverted people often find written communication a lot more natural.
    Just do what feels the most natural to you. There should be no regret in that.