1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not denying myself anymore ready to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by computergeek5, Jun 4, 2014.

1. computergeek5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Over the last couple days I have come to terms that I am gay. I want to come out. To anyone just to get the pressure of my shoulders. I definitely want to tell my parents. I can't hide my sexuallity from them anymore. I am on vacation with them right now for two weeks so I'm holding it off until I'm home and comfortable to avoid making this trip akward if it doesn't go well. Should I tell my well trusted friends first? One of my buddies is bisexual my friend group shouldn't have any problems. Maybe a support group will help. Now my parents don't live together but I rather come out to both of them at the same time. Should I just ask them if I can have time to speak to them together? I am almost certain my father will be accepting but not so sure about my mother whom I live with.

2. Hyaline

(*hug*)

You sound like you have decided when and who. Everything you wrote sounds good if it feels right to you. Doing it on a trip is probably not a good idea if you think there might be issues..

Not sure the status of your parents, telling them both at the same time if they are divorced might be bad if one loses their cool. If you think your mom might lose her cool but your dad will be supportive, tell him first and then ask him to go with you to tell your mom.

As far as your friends, there is always just changing it on FB and waiting to see who notices... and then you don't have to say anything. But for me, telling them in person seems far more personal and respectable. But I am kinda old that way...

3. Najlen

If you feel comfortable telling your friends, I would do that first, so you have a support network just in case it doesn't go over well with one of your parents. I agree with Hyaline, if your parents are divorced/ not getting along, it might be better to tell them separately because if one of them freaks out it might turn into a shouting match and those aren't fun. If you are uncomfortable telling them in person, writing it out can be helpful.