1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tomorrow is the big day

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by touliatos11, Jun 5, 2014.

1. touliatos11

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    coming out to my father and my big brother and with that i will complete half of my journey.
    i know my brother will accept me but it will very hard for him because we are used to laugh about everything and (dont want to insult anyone) gay and gays is one of them(only as a personal joke).:rolle:

i fear that if i tell him it wont be the same but i decided not to fall for the fear. if i will be driven by fear i will be unsure for the rest of my life. i dont feel fear anymore... i think its nothing to be afraid of. i am real with poeple and honest with them. poeple who will not accept me and will turn their back on me either i will stab them in the back or kick it:icon_bigg. they are no true friends of mine.

still imagine that if we were on a cliff and i told my father he would either jump or push me...:icon_sad: is it ok to think that i have no idea how will he react... would like some help cause im lost a bit...

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister continues making these jokes, but now laughing at me (in a healthy way, we love each other). So it didn't change much.

"poeple who will not accept me and will turn their back on me either i will stab them in the back or kick it. they are no true friends of mine."

You are just like me then :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Well congratulations on taking this decision. It isn't easy, but personally, i think it is the right thing to do.

Your father may need some time to understand the idea (and by "time", it can be a few seconds, or a few months. My father took the months).

My advice would be prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. You said your brother will accept you, so you aren't going to be totally alone if your father doesn't take it well.

Good luck!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's great that you no longer feel fearful of coming out to your brother. As you mentioned, he might need a bit of time to get used to it, but it sounds like that your coming out to him will go well, and that he will come around to it sooner rather than later.

When it comes to coming out to your dad, I would suggest that you give it a bit more time. It might be a good idea to come out to your brother first, let it settle in, gain his support, and then try coming out to your dad. You might want to get a better understanding as to how your dad could react before letting him know as it could help you to think about the best way to come out to him.

If you know that it might not go well, try to build up your support network as much as you can beforehand, so that you have the necessary support to lean on, should you need it.

Good luck. Hope it goes well for you. :slight_smile: