1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to best friend...how??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chatoyant, Jun 5, 2014.

1. chatoyant

I've been having a lot of feelings about my sexuality lately and I'm almost positive that I'm either bisexual or lesbian. I really do not think that I am straight, it's just a matter of bi or lesbian. Since I am unsure though, I am not planning on fully coming out, I want to take time to be sure. I just want to tell one of my best friends that I am questioning and pretty sure that I'm not straight. She's really supportive and accepting, we've had conversations about stuff like this before and she is not homophobic. I think that she will be supportive and possibly helpful in getting me through this. I will have someone to talk to. The only problem is that I have never done this before! I don't know how to bring it up, where is the right place, what is the right time, or what to say. I could really use some advice on how to go about doing this! Thanks!

2. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best thing to do is just say "(friends name), I think I'm gay", worked for me ^,^

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! What might help is to speak with her somewhere, where you feel comfortable and know that no one else can listen in or overhear you coming out to her. You can create the the opportunity by inviting her over or by asking her if she would like to go for a walk for example.

The first coming out is always the hardest one. From what you have mentioned, it seems that she would be the best first person to come out to, and have on your side. Before you speak with her, stand in front of the mirror and say out loud, 'I want to come out to [name]' and gauge how you feel. If you have a good feeling, take it from there.

Try to remind yourself that things will be fine.

4. chatoyant

Thank you! That sounds like a good plan, it feels like the right thing to do. It will be nice to have at least one person in my life that I can talk to about this.

5. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've gone with different ways of coming out to each friend. To some, i worked on what i wanted to tell her in my mind and then told her in private saying: there's something i need to tell you....
    But the one i prefer is to come out by messages, it seemed to work better cause i was able to write everything i wanted to before the person could panic about it. and i'm shy to talk about these kinds of subject.

If you feel confident about telling her in person you should do it. If you can't find a good timing to tell her during a normal conversation, tell her you wanna meet her cause you have something important to say.

Good luck! :kiss:

6. chatoyant

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm gonna go on a walk with her and then tell her or something like that.. Hopefully it goes well

7. black-cat

I have no freaking clue and I'm in a similar boat. I think the others are right, you just got to be blunt and say it. Good luck!

8. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Go to your best friend and them that your sexual orientation. If they are supportive as you said everything will be okay.

9. Robin j

Robin j Guest

Hmm it worked for me too....... I thought bout it like thousand times to tell my best friend that I'm into boys and planned out million times to come out but I know that I'm too shy to say it face to face....... So I just messaged him sayin' that I wanna tell you something and I told him that I'm in love with my other best friend..... And cant stop thinking bout it..... He freaked out a li'll but he said he's okay with it and said we will figure out something together and that he's always with me and that no matter what happens he loves me....
    All the best :thumbsup:

10. cathy7

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would make sure you tell them in someplace where you are comfortable and no one else can overhear. The first two people I came out to I told in the car where I was positive that no one could overhear. Just make sure you are comfortable and have some idea of what you want to say to your friend when you start the conversation. I wish the best of luck to you.