1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems With Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This weekend I went with my friends to Carlum Bay to try and find a girl to kiss (their idea). I had been trying to talk to them to get them to reconsider and realize that I am really gay. Luckily we were unable to find a drunk girl to make out with, but that night when I was talking with them I found out that my secretly bi friend is convinced that I am just bi and that the only reason I think that I am gay is because no girls have ever flirted with me.

He maintained that idea even after I told him I knew when I was 13 and that plenty of girls flirted with me I just wasn't interested. I swear he can be stubborn to the point of pure idiocy.

My other friend (his twin) is convinced that I am straight but that I just need to kiss a girl to realize it for myself. Even after I tell him I am sexually attracted to guys and that I have been in a relationship with a guy. He seems to think that homosexuality can be cured by just kissing a girl (I think we all know that that doesn't exactly work). I then asked him well if you kissed a guy would that suddenly make you into guys. He said no but he isn't the one with the "disease". It is becoming very apparent that he will probably fight the fact that I am gay tooth and nail and when it becomes obvious that I am actually gay he may not want to be friends.

I am getting sick of these two we have been friends since we were five but now it is getting so irritating being around them that I am thinking of just leaving them behind. I really wish things could work out but they are so stubborn I worry that no matter how much time passes they may just stay in denial rather than accept the fact that I am gay.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you need someone to tell you it, let it be me.

Leave them behind.

Tell them, "Look, I'm gay. I don't need to kiss or boink a girl to know this. The fact that I have no interest in doing any of this should be proof enough for you. I'm not interested in your goddamn 'cures'. I'm gay, I'm fine being gay, and if you're not, then tell me now so I can go find some other friends who will be."

Lex

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I agree with Lex. If your friends can not accept you for who you are, then maybe it is time that you start finding some new friends who will accept you. Talk to them, and tell them how you feel about this. If they want to be in denial, let them be in denial. If they still can't accept you, it is their problem not yours. Leave them behind. Focus your energy on finding friends who will accept you.

4. myra

I'm agreeing with Lex and astroid. Tell them how it is. If they don't get off their kiester and accept that and stop trying to force girls on you, then ditch them. You don't need people who can't accept you for who you are.

PS: I love the fact that you knew from 13 that you're gay. It took me forever to come to terms with being bi.

5. silentsound

definitely take Lex's advice, if for no other reason than to see the looks on their faces =P

6. cm25

cm25 Guest

I agree with lex asteroid and Myra haha. Tell em straight up and if they don't take it then find new friends. They're not worth the time. I'm sure there's thousands of people out there who would be ok with it.(prolly way more but I'm bad with numbers hehe:0)

7. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I would just confront them about it and tell them to just accept me but the sad truth is we have been friends for so long I'm not sure I could risk losing them, and it feels like they are all that I have for friends and without them I am all alone.

8. happysky

Once again Lex has provided perfect advice.
    Don't waste time with friends who are in denial of who you are. They obviously don't accept the fact that your gay and try to *shrugs* convert you. Find some friends who will accept you and will not try to make you straight.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>the sad truth is we have been friends for so long I'm not sure I could risk losing them, and it feels like they are all that I have for friends and without them I am all alone.

Saying "Well, maybe these guys aren't good friends, but they're all I have" is a bit like saying "Well, maybe this stone isn't a good life preserver, but it's all I have." :slight_smile: No friends are better than bad friends. Yeah, it sucks being lonely. But it sucks worse hanging around people who don't actually like us for us. Being around them too long will drag your self-esteem down more than not having any friends will. You don't necessarily have to kick them to curb altogether. But start working on finding some better friends. They're out there. :slight_smile:

Lex