1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Family, Help!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gcat413, Jun 6, 2014.

1. gcat413

Out Status:
    All but family
    I have been aware of my orientation as a pansexual for a while now, but I never really found the right word to describe myself. A few of my friends that I told had said, well aren't you just bi? I didn't feel comfortable calling myself bi, so I told them I wasn't sure. I looked up a lot of things, and eventually found out about pansexuality. I have come out to my closets friends, and they have accepted me, but I am deathy afraid of telling my parents. My mum I'm sure would question it but eventually accept me. If I tell my dad, I'm scared he will try and change me or practically disown me or even yell at me about my choices. If I do come out, I'm not sure what to do! I want to tell my family, but a few of them are major homophobes. (mainly my dad and kid brother). I don't know what to do, but I hate keeping this from them. I'm kind of young, so they may just brush it all off, but I know how I feel, and have felt this way for years. Please help me!

2. Najlen

If you think your mom will accept you, you could tell her but ask her not to say anything to your dad. If you think she might not accept you, or take a while and out you to your dad and brother before she does, it might be better to wait until you are out of the house and supporting yourself financially. It can be hard, but if there is a fair chance that the outcome will not be good, waiting is safer. At least you have supportive friends; they can be invaluble in situations like this. It's possible that your family will be more accepting of you since you are much closer to them than most LGBT people they meet. Some people are like that, a very religious friend of mine who is normally not really ok with gay people ended up being fine with me, so there's always a chance that things would turn out fine if you do tell them. If that's what you decide on, there are a lot of resources on the internet for people who are thinking about coming out. You can find all kinds of tips and tricks to help it go over better. Hope this helps!

3. gcat413

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks mate. You're probably right about my family. (Love the quotes. Glad I recognized them too :slight_smile:)

4. Najlen

Thanks. Glad this helps.