1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I will probably be single when i return

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by partietraumatic, Aug 18, 2008.

1. partietraumatic

well as i posted last night im meeting my boyfriend for what sounds almost certain to be a dumping. This has the potential to be the worst day of my life-as on top of probs getting dumped im very ill!! (when it rains it pours etc). What i pray is that we can stay friends as he was one of my best friends before we were going out, and while i think i will still struggle to go back to this as i still love him, i think it has to be better than nothing if at all possible.

If im not too depressed by it all i will post and let everyone know how it went-i might need the support lol. I dont really know what im gonna do with myself,my life for that past 5 months has revolved around this guy and i don't know what the focus of my life will be without him. But i guess we're about to find out aren't we. At the moment im trying to be upbeat but i fear when actually confronted with him telling me he doesn't want me anymore i may struggle to stay this way. Anyway so i will post when all is sorted letting you all know how it went. :confused::icon_sad:

2. partietraumatic

Indeed i am now single. We met and went somewhere quiet to talk. He said he just doesn't feel the same way about me anymore and thinks its only fair on me if he tells me. I guess hes right,tho it doesnt feel like it now. He did promise me that he meant everything he said while we were together and that he wishes he didnt have to do this. I managed to hold it together until i got how,where to just sat down and cried for a couple of mins,and i now actually feel slightly better. He did say that he wanted to stay one of my bestfriends. I really need him in my life and i hope its not too awkward.

I dont know what i want to do now...

oh and doesn't life just have a savage irony,he walked me part of the way home and as we were nearly there we walked past a van with its radio on. And guess what..it was playing the song that we had our first kiss to...god has an awful sense of humour

3. Helen

Helen Guest

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that :frowning2:

Just be happy that it was an amicable breakup; they're much easier to deal with, staying-friends-wise. It might be awkward for a little bit, but hopefully, as you say he's one of your best friends, the friendship will prevail ^_^

For now, personally I think you should just...relish the single life for a bit, once you're ready. Maybe you should talk to him about what you should do next, seeing as you'll still be friends. Oh, I'm rambling, just do what you want :slight_smile:

(*hug*)

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

He has done the right thing. He cannot help if he no longer has feelings for you, and the longer he delayed it the more upset you would have both come out of it in the end. You need to find a way to move on now and think towards the future. If you let it play on your mind then you will just slowly become an emotional mess, and nothing will change because of that. Try and occupy yourself by doing something. In the back of your mind it will still be there, but if you're sitting around doing nothing then it's dominating your emotions. Over time it will gradually start to fade and any wounds you have got because of this will cover themselves up and allow you to move on. Just don't blame him for this as he probably feels just as crappy about it as you do. It's one thing being dumped, but knowing you no longer feel attracted somebody who has strong feelings for you is an enormous amount of pressure for him to cope with and he would have found it just as painful (and will probably be blaming himself).

I think staying close friends is a good idea only if you can cope with that. Some people are very lucky that they can be around people and still feel attached to them emotionally on a friendship level, while others want more than that and get upset due to it not being possible. If you think that it is possible to be friends then definetly go for it. It may be best to give it a week or so for everything to settle down and then possibly try making contact for meeting up as friends? From there you should get an idea on how feasible it is for you to remain close without actually being in a sexual relationship.

Just remember that you can still be in a relationship with him. Just because it isn't sexual does not mean one does not exist. You have relationships with your friends and you can still have that close friendship if you're both willing to. In this case that potential relationship sounds like it would be stronger than the one you currently just seperated from. You may find that because of this you'll come out of it happier than before you were in a sexual relationship with him.

5. partietraumatic

I definitely do want to stay friends with him, i feel i need him in my life in some role and a best friend is the next best thing i guess. Im going away in a couple of days and so i probably won't see him for about a week. We do go back to school about 3 days after i get back. I think it would be wise to try and see him on friendship terms before school,as i don't think the school environment would be the best place to try and work out how we can be just friends again. However one of the days I'm back is what would've been our 5month anniversary so i don't know how i'd handle seeing him as a friend for the first time on that day. I'll probs try and talk to him over msn for a bit as i feel that will be easier than face to face for now. I hope we can work it all out,right now i feel a bit numb. Im not sure whether im gonna stay like this or whether at some point im gonna get hit by the realization that he's not there as my boyfriend anymore...

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone