1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid of coming out because I was Acting too 'Hetero'

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DreamingLove, Jun 7, 2014.

1. DreamingLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well the title says it.I really want to come out to my friends but my actions werent like a typical gay guy.What will they think?I mean I dont even think they thought i could be gay :frowning2:

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    it kinda does not matter if you act like a typical gay guy or not, there might be some that might have guessed at it

3. Isa

Isa

What do you mean by "a typical gay guy"? What are you doing that isn't typical and what is a "typical gay guy" do that you aren't?

I'm just curious what you mean, because in my world, gay guys and straight guys both do what they want to do and act as individuals.

4. revi

revi Guest

There is no thing as acting too hetero, as far as I'm concerned masculinity which I assume is what you are referring too should not be linked to sexuality as it is. And I'm sure your classmates won't see acting "hetero" as a problem either.

5. calgary

I have had the same thoughts but have come out to some people who still have figured it out. Oddly it tends to be other guys that figured it out and girls that are surprised if you tend to be on the more masculine side. Think guys pick up on the small things like not talking about girls obsessively when its just guys. (Maybe this is just my straight friends). In the end coming out is really about you being comfortable with yourself. Being more masculine may mean you will have to deal with more people surprised but that doesn't mean the reaction will be bad. Be prepared though to answer the question if you were pretending to be masculine and now going to be flamboyant. That is my least favourite thing I have been asked.

6. Hyaline

I am pretty atypical when it comes to stereotypical gay. I've found that some people pick up on it and some don't. I still go camping, work on cars and love getting dirty. Some friends knew and some didn't. I never had to apologize for being who I am. The truth is that I am still the same person, they just happen to have an additional piece of information about me.

7. DreamingLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you guys for advice and yes i am talking about being more flamboyant/feminine than I was before .

8. Aaron82

Aaron82 Guest

Don't worry. Head up and go ahead.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you probably mean is what the stereotypical gay guy does; most of us are indistinguishable from straight guys.

What you are feeling awkward about is the transition in your apparent sexuality, not being more flamboyant or open about yourself. This is always a problem in your head because you feel like you have been deceiving people about yourself, which you actually have, so there is no avoiding that. You are just going to have to suck it up and admit it if anyone says anything about it. This is where I usually quote Dr Phil, who says "You wouldn't be so concerned about what people think, if you realized how seldom they do." They are thinking about themselves most of the time not you, so just be yourself and if anyone comments about your transition from "straight to gay", just say "My bad", and let it go at that.

10. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

A typical gay guy is attracted to guys. Don't feel like you have to be stereotypical to be accepted. The people who don't believe you are bigots. And bigots don't matter.