1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Really, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Really

Did you you feel the most "better" after telling the first person? I guess it depends on the reaction but how would you compare your first time coming out to the subsequent ones?
    I'm feeling a bit wobbly having this piece of information about myself. It doesn't help that I'm almost pathologically honest and am somewhat of a blurter. I can keep other people's secrets no problem but I'm a bit of an over-sharer when it comes to myself.
    I think I wish someone would just ask me. Well, the right person anyway...

2. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first person I came out to was my best friend who is a lesbian. I planned to come out to her first as I knew she would have no problem with it. Its better to come out to someone you know will accept you first so that way you have someone who supports you when you come out to others. I didnt feel better after coming out to her I just felt normal around her. I felt better after I came out to my parents, that was the one I was scared of the most.

3. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I first came out to one of my friends when I was 19. We had just bought some books and the one I had picked out was a psychology book about why some people are born straight and some gay. In the car on the way to the restaurant, she asked me "So... about that book?" I started blushing and then told her everything. She was totally fine with. It felt so freeing! Someone finally knew my secret!

4. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my best friend, she was totally accepting and I felt so relieved

5. Titan1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I may not be the best person to give an opinion on this, as I'm only out to four people right now, but yes the first time did feel the best. The first person I told was my best (girl) friend. I had been wanting to find someone to tell for months and it just seemed perfect to tell her. I was immediately glad that I did because I had gained someone I could talk to about my problems. I think the first person does feel the best because you're suddenly not alone with your problems, and by telling someone else you've also solidified it in your own mind as well.

6. Tetra

I've only told one friend, but it's SO much nicer being able to talk to someone about it instead of just twisting the idea around in my head for all eternity. I told my friend, and they were very accepting, and kind of knew already. I sort of planned it this way, so that I wouldn't have the first person I came out to criticizing me.