1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel so out of place...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andrew, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Andrew

Blah. Well today was our REAL day of school. And I am a transferred student. I had to transferred, because my mom had to marry my now stupid step-dad. Anyways, I went to school.. And I notice everyone else is talking to their friends and here is me.. Just alone :/ I got to say, one of the worst days of my life/school. I just felt like I wasn't meant to be there :l I miss my old school SO BADLY, it sucks. Because my whole life changed, just because of my stupid step-dad. :/ It sucks, and when it came to lunch time.. I didn't even say NOT ONE WORD. :frowning2: I just felt like going to the bathroom and crying.. I hate it.

-Luis:tears:

2. Eponine

I know how you feel, since I transferred while I was in high school. It was definitely hard for me too, but you have to be active in order to make friends. Talk to people in your classes, join clubs, or do some kind of sport. I also found it much easier to go up to people that actually seem like they don't have too many friends and if you happen to meet their friends, it is much more easier to feel like you belong.

Just persevere and don't just hope for people to come up to you. They might, but you still have to go and make friends as well.

3. panda

Give it time . You'll meet new people who will become your best friends.

Of course it's shitty and scary now , but it'll get better.

Just be calm and wait a bit...:slight_smile:

4. Starlight

Starlight Guest

Don't give up, you'll be fed up with hearing this but it'll take time. Everyone else is going to be just as nervous around you as you are around them.

Relax and just be yourself (*hug*)

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first day in a new environment is always the toughest.

Remember - the people you see chatting with each other aren't being "exclusive". They're just talking to their friends. At one point, they didn't know each other, and now they do. They feel more comfortable talking to each other, the same way you would feel more comfortable talking to a friend than a total stranger.

So what to do? Well, the onus is more or less going to be on you. After all, most of them already have friends, and although they might be open to getting new ones, they'll be less likely to make the attempt. So start talking a bit more. You don't have to say a lot. Ask the guy next to you in you can borrow a pencil. In the next class, ask the girl next to you if she knows if this teacher gives out a lot of homework. Ask someone in the hall where Room 105 is. If you get a friendly (or potentially friendly) response, smile back, thank them, and introduce yourself. "I'm Andrew. I just transferred here from (wherever)." Don't expect really long or really in-depth conversations right off the bat. You probably won't have a bff by the end of the week. But you'll probably have a few leads. Keep expanding them. When you see them again in the hall, say hi. Thank them again for the pencil/directions/information. Dangle a quick conversation starter - "I'm starting to get the hang of where everything is in this school", for instance - and see where it leads.

You don't have a schoolful of strangers. You have a schoolful of potential friends. Go make some. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. silentsound

Well, I know exactly how you feel and I have so been there (I was in my sixth school by seventh grade) Break the ice by talking about a class. Maybe say a few words about homework or something friendly to someone who you sit near and introduce yourself. Than maybe go sit at their table at lunch. Just relax, introduce yourself. You don't have to say a lot, just stick to simple friendly conversation that can be a great jumping off point for talking about other things. If you find yourself in a conversation with one person in particular ask them about what they like to do. People love to talk about themselves. Just give it time, the first day is always the hardest. Good luck honey, I know how tough this is *hug*

7. -Michael-

I tend to get all happy in these situations.

Ive never eaten lunch at school for 3 years. But if none of my friends around i just used to sit down, happy as houses, and just smile whilst eating.

If people see you're vulnerable they will do something.
    They may come over out of pity.
    They may shout stuff.

I always find if you're happy about things people will come over just as happy and strike up conversation :slight_smile:

Just look on the bright side of things.
    New start.
    New you.
    Be anyone you want to be.
    :slight_smile:

Good luck,

8. You think that's bad? How about this:

I moved here to the USA when I was 12. I entered school, not knowing anybody (except my cousin who was in a different grade and we rarely saw each other). I had to learn english (I understood 10% of what people said), get used to everything, endure the stares, the questions, things I didn't understand, and the strange schedules. Of course, I did cry the first day. It was really bad.

I hope that makes you feel better (*hug*)

9. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like a few others who have replied before me, I have "been there, done that". I changed high schools at the end of Year 10. On top of this, I ended up doing Year 12 over two years, essentially meaning that while I was still at the same school, I was with a whole new group of students for that second year having to start all over again.

My suggestion to you is if the people are not coming to you, you need to go to the people. If people aren't talking to you, then you go up to someone and talk to them. I know that is easier said than done but you do have to try. Most of these people don't know you so you need to find ways for them to get to know you.

Being a new student in some ways puts you at a bit of an advantage because you essentially have "the choice" of almost any group of friends you want. If you don't like the people in one group, you can quickly switch to another without anyone noticing for the first week or so. In my case, on my first day at my new school, I hung around the people who showed me around the school on my orientation day because I didn't really know anyone. By the end of the week, I was sitting around with a completely different group of people because I didn't feel like I fitted in with that other group (plus there weren't many people in the first group who were in the same classes as me).

I know this first day was hard, but it will get easier as time goes on. Don't get down about having to move schools and losing your old friends but embrace the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. Try to think of it as having a fresh start.

I hope this helps.

10. Sam

Sam

Don't worry it will get easier I know it sucks right now but soon enough you will find some friends and then you won't have to worry about being alone. Don't be afraid to try and talk to some people and get to know them. Good luck!

11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    During the summer between my 8th and 9th years, my mom quit her job in the school system and I was forced to go to a different school for my high school years. I finished my freshman year this past summer, and I see what you mean - you really do feel lost, even moreso because you're in a high school. It's going to take awhile, but you'll slowly start to slide into things. I can't help much with this because I actually prefer being alone, it's much more quiet and I get some of my privacy back, but if you want to jump into the social scene...I'm not stopping you. Just give it time, you can't expect to be top of the charts right off the bat.

12. happysky

I went through a similar experiennce in 6th grade. First day in a new school isn't exactly a fun experience. Does to school have a GSA club? That can help you with meeting people. It should get easier as time goes on. I wish I could say I know how you feel, but you really felt bad today. I'm sorry that had to happen to you.

13. Mind Freak

Hang in there buddy!
    You're fun to talk to I'm sure people will love you.

Just try being outgoing!

; )

14. Andrew

Blah. It sucks.

Thanks everyone for posting.. I appreciate it. I took my time and reading all your posts! The thing is.. I am to shy. I don't know HOW TO TAKE MY SHYNESS AWAY! I really want to make some good friends at this school. its just so hard, when i see people talking to other people and its like BLAH. :/

-Luis

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    During lunch, find some people who seem to share some interests with you. Sit near them and just listen, you don't have to jump into conversation. Do this for a little while, get a feel for how they work, and try to ease yourself into the conversation one day.

16. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Hey matie it will get better!!! Just try and keep thinking of the positive things you can learn. You have been forced into this new situation so take advantage!! You have a chance to meet loads of new people and make loads of new friends. I know it can be scary but just relax and do what comes naturally - be yourself and I'm sure soon enough you'll make friends and really enjoy where you are. Don't give up :slight_smile:

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a lot harder to interrupt the conversation. Better bet - look for other "shy guys". The ones that aren't talking. These people probably are actually HOPING people start talking to them, and so you're very likely to get a positive reaction from them. :slight_smile:

Lex

18. Miles D

it sounds weird, but I've been the new kid at schools tons of times.
    what i do is I find a kid with a cool t-shirt (like a band I also like so you know you have something in common) and I walk up to them, stick my hand out and go "Hi, I'm Miles." They'll either stare at you like a freak of nature and walk away, or stick their hand out and go "Hey, I'm Joebob."

Then strike up a conversation about how cool/dumb the teacher is, how you're new, or anything. I did this in every class my freshman year of HS, and it worked pretty well. The people I talked to didn't become my best friends necessarily, but at-least I talked to people.

19. Jim1454

EXACTLY!!!

Because what do you have to lose? You're not talking to anyone, so give this a shot. Just say 'Hi' to someone - the person sitting next to you in class. The sooner you do that, the better. Because the longer you sit in a class beside the same person without saying 'Hi', the harder it will get to do that.

The other thing is, just saying 'Hi' and smiling at someone lets people know that you're actually open to making friends and talking. If you're the 'new kid' that comes to class, doesn't say anything, doesn't smile, doesn't make eye contact... well, what would you do? Likely avoid that kind of person. They aren't going to appear to be much fun.

Good luck. It will get better!