1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mommy Problems

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RocketMoose27, Jun 7, 2014.

1. RocketMoose27

So at the moment, I'm passing as "asexual".
    I know it's not good to be pretending to be something you're not, but I HAVE to do it around everyone I know, seeing as they're all homophobic. Except for my youngest sister(20+ y.o.), who I came out to last winter. (she was so happy that I came out to her, lol)

Me and my Mom were sitting outside of wal-mart and I asked her how she would react if I were gay...
    I got the most unexpected reaction from her ever: "I would shoot your dad."
    and continued to rant about stupid assumptions that homosexuals were raped by their fathers so they resent woman and stuff. She's EXTREMELY conservative, closed minded, it's way too late for her and, well...

I just don't feel safe around her! She threatened to inflict physical harm to my DAD over some stupid stereotype, and threatened to kick me out! She FORCED me to promise that I would never be gay- which I didn't and replied with "I can't make any promises."

So I have the off-hand option to move in with my sister who lives two states away, but I don't want to be a bother for her and her boyfriend. :bang:

I need some advice :help:

2. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I am so sorry, sweetie. I say don't tell her, however difficult that may be. Maybe leave an article about hormones in the womb on an open computer just as a backup if she finds out. Figure out your dad's stance, and if he is okay with it, warn him. My own father has shown that kind of hatred before, but never to the extent of threatening my mother. I will never tell him. He won't be invited when I find someone and get married- for my own safety. Be careful.

3. DancingInFlames

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's not the most likely scenario, but sometimes people change when someone they know comes out. They become more open minded or look into things more than they used to, and overcome some of their past prejudices. When it comes down to it she'll either accept you or risk losing you. It's good to keep in mind her initial reaction won't necessarily be her final one. Like if she is hostile when you come out eventually, she might change in ten or twenty years. Just something to keep in mind when you're 30 or 40 and haven't talked to your mother in decades and you've given up because you didn't think she'd ever change.
    But by no means do something that you don't think you'd be safe. Personally, I'd look into moving in with your sister, even if your mother never finds out, it can still bear down on you in later years emotionally, to live with someone that is hostile towards you.