1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I do this.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by idkgrrrl, Jun 8, 2014.

1. idkgrrrl

I'm a VERY emotional girl when it comes to talking about my dad, thinking about my dad, or even talking TO HIM.
    My parents divorced when I was in like kindergarten and I've had a lot of problems with going to my father's house to visit. I didn't really get along with my stepmother and my I don't talk to my dad much now that I am 17, except for the "I'm doing really good in school, I watched that movie you liked when you were younger, college, how my siblings are, and the I love you's."
    So my father and I really don't know much about each other except for the basics. He gets along with my brother a lot more since they play together on the xbox live and all that stuff.

MOREOVER, I've been really into this girl I've been talking to and I started to wonder how I should come out to my dad. Homosexuality or whatever is not uncommon to my dad or his "family" because my uncle (dads youngest brother) is gay and openly gay. I've heard stories from my mom that my dad would say some sort of harsh things to him when they were younger about him being gay but now he doesn't. (My dad is like 45 and that was like 20 years ago).

I'm afraid that when and if I come out to my dad like "Hey dad this is my girlfriend" that my stepmother would SERIOUSLY :***: BRAINWASH him into thinking I shouldn't be around there cause what of my step sisters and all that bullshit. :help: She's very judge mental and I'm afraid my dad will be too.

I LOVE my father and I'm slowly building my relationship with him before I leave for college or before it's too late. This is a big part of me and I need advice on how I should come out to him.

Sadly, crying is inevitable. I can't even say I love you to him without even getting a shaky voice.

Thanks anyway, to everyone.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think you should tell him anyway

3. idkgrrrl

I wish my brother could just tell him for me, and I just show up one weekend and be like "Hey dad."

My brother knows that I am not straight but my family at home doesn't even acknowledge it either. It's like to them I am straight even though I've told them I wasn't.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! In some respects, and even though you are very emotional talking about and to your dad, you could try forging a new relationship with your dad by opening up a bit more about yourself. Maybe try to get together with your dad and spent some afternoons or weekends with him, where it is just the two of you talking and getting to know each other.

From what you have said, it sounds like that you do want to be able to tell your dad that you have a girlfriend when the time comes. Don't worry about what others might have done, or didn't do. Worry about what is important to you and what you would like to accomplish with coming out to him.

You could start with inviting your dad to spend an afternoon with you, and perhaps during the course of that afternoon try to talk to him. You could also try to build up to it by having a couple to a few afternoons/days spent with him so to start laying the ground work for your eventual coming out to him.

I don't think you have anything to lose. :slight_smile:

5. idkgrrrl

You're right. I guess I just have to do this slowly. Thanks so much. :slight_smile:

6. Dgbf5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell your father when you are ready. I'm sure your father will accept you for who you are. GIve little hints to your father, then tell him that your into women.

Good Luck

-David