1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dizzyCalysto, Jun 8, 2014.

1. dizzyCalysto

Out Status:
    All but family
    I've told a few of my closer friends that I'm bisexual and they've been ok with it, but I'm worried about my family. My parents have been giving off mixed signals about their opinions on homosexuality, and I'm scared to ask the straight up how they feel on the matter. My biggest concern is my grandmother. She is very religious and probably wouldn't very open minded, but she also has a lot of money and pays for things like braces, summer camp, and most likely college when the time comes. I fear that if I tell them, I might get cut off.

2. King

You don't have to tell all your family, or tell them all at the same time. It may be easier confide in one family member you trust and see how it goes with them. You can tell your parents and not your grandmother if her reaction concerns you, I have done something similar.

What is 'mixed signals'? Often people use words like bent or gay merely because they are stupid and do not intend to be offensive. Other anti-gay/lesbian sentiment may be because they don't know a gay/lesbian person and are not well informed. It is up to you to judge their attitudes, but even if they are negative at first they may change their minds. If you are financially dependent on your parents then it is important to see their views on the issue, but very few parents kick out LGBT kids or financially blackmail them in the grand scheme of things. If they hated homosexuality then surely they would have made it very clear?

There is no rush and you can tell certain family members and not others if you can trust them.

3. Dgbf5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell the people that you think you need to tell. If your grandmother is one of those people, then its what you have to do to live a happy life. If she does cut you off, it's life.

Mixed signals from your parents are just more worrying about you. Tell them when you are ready to come out and accepting who you are. Be Yourself.