1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take for your parents to come around?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confuseduser99, Jun 8, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

When I came out to my mom two weeks ago, she took it well. She's since backtracked a little, saying things like "maybe it's just a phase" (even though I told her that I knew since I was like 13), "you've never been with a girl so how would you know?" and "I just want you to experiment with a girl first so you know for sure".

She hasn't disowned me or anything. She's tolerates me being gay, but she isn't 100% supportive of me yet. How long does it take for parents to get through the stages of grief, and come around and become more supportive?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately that is basically impossible to answer, because it depends on so many things.

I mean it could be that if you have a good relationship with a guy, she will back off and accept it...it could be that she will think it through and realise how daft she is being in a few more weeks, maybe if she speaks to somebody else about it.

It could be that she never fully accepts the idea that you are completely gay, and always secretly clings to the idea that you'll one day have a wife...

It really isn't something you can predict I'm afraid!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It can take a while for parents to come around. For some it will take a while before they can let go of their dreams and expectations for the future. From what you have mentioned, it seems that your mom has started to think more deeply about it and what it might mean for her own dreams and wants for you. There could also be some fears talking and weighing on her.

It would be good if you continue to show that you are still the same person, and that your sexual orientation doesn't change you. That could help her to come around fully, and be supportive. (*hug*)

4. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

To tell you I don't know. Give your mom time and don't pressure her to accept your sexual orientation. She might be in a stage of denial but she'll come around in time. And just be yourself and be proud of who you are. God Bless

5. confuseduser99

That's what I'm trying to do. Trying to show her that I'm the same person and that my sexual orientation does not solely define me. I really hope she comes around sometime soon!

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems to me that what may be going on is your mom simply wanting you to be happy and realizing that this fact is going to make your life harder--and struggling against that for your sake. My parents were remarkably accepting from the get go. But they were paralyzed with fear for me. They were painfully aware that a lot of people would be awful to me for no other reason than the fact that I was gay--and for that reason they desperately wanted me not to have to go through that. The only thing that calmed those fears was seeing me thrive and flourish in life. They almost immediately saw that rather than this new life making things harder for me it made me happier and they were finally able to accept it completely because that was all they had really wanted for me all along.

7. confuseduser99

Well I hope she sees that it'll make me happier sometime soon. Maybe it's because I don't appear to be "happy" yet, since I've never actually been with a guy. Maybe when I have a boyfriend she'll finally see me happy!

8. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    WTF: "I just want you to experiment with a girl first so you know for sure". What a terrible thing for anyone, especially a woman, to say. If I had a daughter I wouldn’t want anyone “experimenting” with her messing with her feelings and emotions.

I’m sure your mum will come round in the end, but if there is any experimenting to be done I suggest you find yourself a nice guy and have a fun safe time. According to good scientific methods the experiment should be repeated several, preferably many, times to ensure an accurate consistent result :icon_bigg. The experiment should of course examine the impact of other variables such as location, soft lighting, background music, perhaps a drop or two of alcohol etc. It may be necessary to repeat the series of experiments with other test subjects to find the optimum conditions for happiness.

If by some remote chance you are straight I am sure you will realise this very soon into the experiment if not before if starts.:eek:

Have fun in finding out who you are .

Sale Gay Guy

#8 SaleGayGuy, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  9. confuseduser99

HAHA! Such a funny yet true response! Thanks for making me giggle! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what I'm worried about or that the church people will be extra nice to me thinking I have back-slidden into sin.