1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Dad Now

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by newfish, Jun 8, 2014.

1. newfish

So yesterday my mom asked if I liked boys or girls. I said boys. She said loved me no matter what and asked if I wanted her to tell dad. I said no, and she agreed but said that I should start thinking about telling him. I agree and had planned to come out to both of them at around the same time, although I hadn't hoped to do it so soon. She also mentioned he will be shock but it is unlikely he will withdraw any love, which I also agree with.
    So now I'm wondering, how do I come out to my dad now that I already have with my mom? Should I do it in a letter or in person? Is it any different now that my mom knows first? How long can I wait with only one of them knowing?

2. supernova

Out Status:
    All but family
    So now I'm wondering, how do I come out to my dad now that I already have with my mom?
    There are many ways to come out. You an write a letter, an email, a text, drop a note by his work, or sit them down in person. It depends on the person and how the feel about the LGBT community.

Should I do it in a letter or in person?
    Maybe do a combo of both. Write a letter, then give it to your father. Sit there while he reads it, let him ask questions while he reads it, or not say anything at all. When he is done, say a bit more, get him to talk.

Is it any different now that my mom knows first?
    What do you mean by this?

How long can I wait with only one of them knowing?
    You can wait however long you want, but if one parent knows, I think you should tell your dad soon. You can wait forever, but your mom might accidentally tell your dad, so you may want to tell him first.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You put your mother in an awkward position by telling her and asking her to keep a secret from her husband, your dad. Unless there is reason to question your own safety, telling him sooner is better than later. Supernova has made several good suggestions about how you can do it.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    try doing it with your mom there so you have moral support.

5. newfish

I like the idea of a letter because it will be so awkward otherwise. I might give it to him a letter and walk away with it being written, in the letter, that he can ask questions.
    I guess what I meant by "is it any different" is are there any changes in wording or something. Thinking about it, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense outside of my head.

I didn't bring the subject up. She did, and also asked if she should tell him or not. I think both of those were good moves on her part, but not really anything I had control over.

I'll probably do that. I know even if his shock is a poor reaction, she'll support me.