1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Come Out In High School?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SensesFailX, Jun 8, 2014.

1. SensesFailX

Ok let me fill you in with some details. The town I live in is definitely considered more conservative and republican, lots of rednecks if you will, but still definitely far from the deep south. Most people dissaprove of gays and only three to five people are out that I know of. One is a bisexual/leaning towards gay guy and he is accepted very well because he is so popular and confident, however some people still make remarks behind his back. There is also a gay couple that people find "disgusting" and are always talking about, but (as far as I know), no physical violence has come to them.

However in my P.E. class last year there were several guys always talking about how they'd kill a fag if they found out. This really scares me and I have to take P.E. again next year and was wondering if I should wait until after that year. Also, I have a boyfriend, and I feel like coming out might not be the best in terms of staying true in case all these other guys starting coming on to me.

So should I just wait? and if so should I wait until after I'm out of P.E. class or until I'm out of high school?

2. Vaettfang

Personally, I think you should come out when YOU feel comfortable. Don't ask us, we can't tell you what you're feeling. You can come out when you feel comfortable doing so. When you do, good luck! :slight_smile: :grin:

3. Ali101xx

Ali101xx Guest

Out Status:
    All but family
    Come out only when you feel that it's the right time. How would your friends react if they found out about your sexuality? What about the rest of the school? My coming out hasn't been that bad but it couldve been better I guess. I'd recommend coming out when you're in your higher years of high school because juniors can be immature at times and what about the anti-bullying policy? We have one about homophobic bullying and its really good. The teachers are supportive and there are people who accept me no matter what. Only you can decide, everyone's coming out experiences will be different. Make sure you check with your school anti-bullying policy and get homophobic bullying put down as unacceptable. This means they will have to deal with homophobia, discrimination and prejudice severely like they do in my school. Best of luck x

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you are already out to the people who matter to you. While the boys in PE are probably just acting like macho dipshits, there is no reason you have to expose yourself to possible bullying by coming out in general if you don't want to; it is all up to you how important it is for everyone else to know. Some people will make comments behind your back too; that is just how immature high school students act, in addition to spreading juicy gossip around quickly; usually is done with when you go on to college, if you want to wait to come out in general.

5. idkgrrrl

If you are concerned about your safety, maybe it's not a good idea to come out. /:
    There are a lot of homophobic people that go to the extreme. But if you feel like you aren't afraid and you don't care about the negativity that may, and most likely will come, then go for it.

Whatever you choose, it's not a bad decision. Stay safe, and good luck. :slight_smile:

6. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think they'd actually kill a gay person but if you're worried for your safety, maybe just come out to the other gay people? If you feel like you HAVE to tell someone. If you're ok with waiting, I would wait.

7. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

My advice is don't come out just because you feel pressured. Come out when your ready and your safety is insured. If your afraid to come cause you feel your safety is in danger than don't. You have to be comfortable with who you are and consider the risks.