1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have Divorsed parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Weazel, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Weazel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay so a little while ago i told my freind that i was gay and she was exsepting and said that she would keep my secret as long as i wanted her too... that was last winter

about three weeks ago i told my mother. and a few things came out of it i felt happer and i could be more of who i was (exsept i dont know how much or what i can say about the type of guy i like and ex. on those topics) and i asked her to tell my step father and she did. but what my problem is i want to tell my father and i dont know how he will react to the knoledge of me being gay. My dad is a very masculan like guy hes really in to sports (i am too but not as much) and hunting and fishing (which i love to do too).

i guess my question is how would you go about telling my dad

Thanks
    Ethan aka Weazel

2. Davey

Well i would be in pretty much the same situation and i've been thinking on how to tell my father and I always planned to tell him after leaving his house on a weekend so he would have two weeks to think about it. i went to his house every other weekend. but now he moved to South Carolina so i figured i would just tell him some day.

you could also always have your mom speak to him about it also or at least have her present.

I still have a few things to get through myself but I hope this helps a little.

good luck!

3. Weazel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea my parents since the devorce (when i was three) truely havent been on talking terms with each other and they dont like to be in the same room together for more than a couple min. so yea itll be a fat chance for your possibilitys to happen

thanks though

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Is your Dad remarried? Maybe you could illicit some help from her if she's an accepting person.

5. -Michael-

Just aks your mother to go with you if you tell him in person and enroll her support.

:slight_smile:

It'll be okay,
    Good luck:thumbsup:

P.S you spelt so many things wrong.:lol:

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Ethan! Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

I guess you could first try finding out how your dad feels about homosexuality. If he is generally accepting that could make your coming out to him a bit easier. You could try to bring up the topic of homosexuality in a general conversation or mentioned something you have seen on TV for example. After that decide if you want to come out to him, or if you want to give it some more time.

I think talking in person is always the best, but if you are nervous because you don't know how he might react (which is totally fine) try giving him a letter first and talk to him afterwards and answer some of the questions that he might have. This will give him also a bit of time to 'adjust' to it.

Given that your parents aren't on talking terms right now, maybe try coming out to him the next time you spend time with him.

Hope this helps!

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Maybe try having ur father in setting u both feel comfortable with like fishing and test the waters about how he feels about gays, if he seems positive or non reactionary about them then it might be the right time. If not you can always try it in a letter so its less confrontational.