1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"reunion" with straight friends. IDK what to do

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by altcipher, Jun 9, 2014.

1. altcipher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A friend just invited me and another friend to hang out at his place as a sort of reunion before we go to college and all that jazz. Thing is we haven't been in very close contact for a while now. Back when we used to hang out a lot I was a younger and still very closeted and confused about my sexuality.

So basically I'm pretty nervous about it all. I mean I'm not sure if I need to tell them or not but chances are the topic of sexuality or relationships will come up, being they're are teenage boys and all lol. And when it does its probably going to get awkward for me, just like it was when I was younger and even more closeted/confused.

Its not just that though. Also I feel kinda weird because I feel as if I was lying about who I was in the past, and who they see me as isn't exactly who I am now. It kinda makes me just want to run away from my problems and make up an excuse not to go, but I know that's not a great idea either. Besides we have a history as friends and I don't think anything has changed that since. I would just tell them but I'm not sure if they would both take it very well and might make things awkward given the past. And they were never the most "gay-friendly" to begin with.

So basically I don't know what to do. Sorry for my little rant or whatever this is. Thank you if you read it. If anyone has any advice or experience or would be willing to talk please do share I could use it. I'm kinda freaking out about it all and its supposed to happen later tonight. grrr :bang:

2. Telemun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I have gone with the policy: Ask, and I Will Tell.....

If someone wants to KNOW if I am gay or ask about that, then I am more than willing to tell them. If not, then I don't feel I need to tell everyone "Hey, I'm gay by the way." No, it's not necessary.

So if they ask about your relationship life or dating life, just tell them you been focusing on other things, and just getting prepared for college. If you feel like the reaction of letting them know you are gay will not be welcomed at your hangout, then I suggest that is not the best time to tell them.'

I say the time you feel it's right to tell them, I would suggest inviting them all together before Summer ends, and lay it all out before school starts. That way you all can go and they have time to proccess it. College is a WHOLE new beginning, truuuust me, and it's the greatest, and freeing moment of possibly your life.

Sorry I'm babbling and going all over the place with this, but just my thoughts and tips :slight_smile:

3. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

My advice is to just be who you are. If they are true friends they will accept you no matter what. College is a place where you'll meet people who understand you and accept you. People are more mature and don't really care about someone's personal life. They are there for there education and sometimes partying. Good luck at the reunion.

4. chi29

Think about it within the following days and ask yourself if you're ready. With my experience with time is that people get more mature as they get older, if you think they weren't "Gay Friendly" before maybe they changed now, I got bullied by the guys in my elementary school but when a reunion popped up and I attended it my sexuality just became obvious and they just accepted it and I gained their respect with the rest of the day being a normal meet and chat. I don't know if my story helps but for me friendship is about trust, if you trust your friends enough and you really know them then that is when you can answer if you can tell them about who you are, and if they really are your true friends then they will accept you.

I don't know if this helps but its just my thoughts >.<