1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out after accepting two weeks ago.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Devin, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Devin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just accepted the fact that I'm transgender. I never explored any of this before, all I've been getting is thoughts about it being better if I was a guy and for years I have had top dysphoria (disliking my breasts.) For years I've fought this because I was a Christian. But a few weeks ago I just embraced the fact that I'm trans.
    I came out to a few friends and teachers, but I've been thinking about coming out to my mom. I still live with her and will continue to do so for a few more years.
    I know that she's not homophobic or transphobic, she has even expressed fondness. But she has the impression that trans people hate themselves and they have no confidence. I'm a bit scared to come out.
    I plan to send her a vid of a teen trans coming out and ask my mom what she would do if she was the mom of that teen. Just to see her reaction.

Any other advice?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My advice is to prepare for whatever reaction she would have if you just came out to her, because basically you send her that video and she pretty much can't draw any other conclusion!

3. Devin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see. I doubt she'd throw me out. Guess I could make plans to stay with a friend nearby if she does. But then I'd have to come out to my friend too, I don't know how she'll take it since she's a Christian.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that she will almost certainly be in some sort of shock after hearing it, and that can manifest itself in lots of ways...

My dad, for example, started making weird jokes. My mum went mental and started being absolutely transphobic for several weeks.

5. Devin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Alright, thank you.

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2014 at 04:01 PM ----------

I just told my mom about the LGBT club In trying to create in college. She seemed very curios and even offered me advice. I made a tiny mistake and said "Our community (me inclusive)" instead of "their community". But she didn't catch it. I don't want her to know that I'm actually part of the LGBT community yet.