1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to tell my parents, but not sure I am ready emotionally...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BeingEarnest, Jun 10, 2014.

1. BeingEarnest

I have been wondering for the last couple of weeks if it is time to tell my parents and siblings that I am gay. In the last 2 months, I came out to my wife and to colleagues and friends (35+) and so far have been received with grace and love. There is also grief and sadness at the changes this will bring, but I am feeling more whole each day.

I wrestle with telling my family. On the one hand, I want to. One of the aspects of hiding myself from the truth all of these years, is that I withdrew from friends and loved ones, and experienced times of depression which were becoming more frequent. Even before this, my family has not been active in my life- they do not communicate, and especially long distance- it is as if you don't exist. I wonder if keeping myself locked up made this worse over time- it is hard to tell. It could help me to piece my life together and understand things more clearly if I could hear from their perspective what I was like as a child. I suspect they have always known, and accepted at some level that I was different. It could be less of an issue than I think.

On the other hand, a part of the process of coming out has been taking a look over my life, and with the help of my therapist, feeling the emotions and pain of my childhood and youth. There is a lot there, and it still feels raw. Both my parents are alcoholic (my father recently entered recovery and is doing better than ever, mom I however is going downhill and shows no desire to stop) as a teen, I was exposed to threatening situations, violence and abuse. When I think of talking to my family, I have a hard time separating the self disclosure, that at I am gay, from all of the unresolved issues and emotions. I am angry. (Which is a feeling I blocked off for years)

I do not know how they would take the news. When I was young, they only spoke about homosexuality with disgust. They sent a clear message that it was not acceptable (and therefore not an option) I do not know if that has changed over time. My older brother is in a church which tries to cure gays. We have had many spirited theological discussions on the topic over the years. Now I understand better why I felt so passionate in speaking in defense of gays and lesbians. It is possible he may out pressure in me to go back (not an option) or, it may be that he remembers how brutally I was treated as a child and at school, that he may be compassionate and understanding. I truly do not know. I want to believe the latter.

I have the sense that if and when I talk to my family, they will spread the news, which with Facebook can be very far and fast. They can keep a secret for years, but I am not certain they can keep a confidence.

Emotionally, I am confused. I want to hope things can get better. I have seen progress over the years with some family members. Especially my dad, and my sister ( who I think will be more than okay with it). With my mother and brother, I think I can take rejection or acceptance equally okay. What I fear is utter indifference, that it (and me) will be one more piece of news to hide under the rug, or add to the list of woes.

My friends have been telling me to take my time, and I am able to do so, but I am also aware that at the rate I am coming out in my life, there may come a day when it reaches them before I do.

I welcome your thoughts and wisdom during this confusing time.

#1 BeingEarnest, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  2. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just want to do the hug thing, while you wait for someone with good and knowledgeable advice to answer you, as I'm sure they will soon
    (*hug*)

3. Aaron82

Aaron82 Guest

Hello.
    Even if somebody not accept who you are, you feel better when you come out. I was married have son and when I told to everybody I feel so free. You should to know that only my wife accept me. Parents and brother and one sister don't speak with me. But it's not important, because finally I feel free.
    Don't be affraid, just do it. Fear has big eyes.

4. shadowraptor

I don't think you have anything to fear. I know that if you end up getting rejected, it's gonna suck. But you're old enough to take rejection. Coming from your family, your own mother and father, it might be tough, but you've built yourself a wall of support that you can always lean back on if you need to. So even if their response isn't exactly what you hope for, there are tons of other people waiting to catch you. (*hug*)

But honestly, if you aren't completely sure that you want to come out, then don't. You shouldn't come out to someone unless you are entirely ready to do it. If there's any doubt, wait. It's better to get it done later when you're in a stable point of view than do it earlier when you're going to be an emotional wreck. So if you're not behind that decision 100%, wait until you are.

5. BeingEarnest

Thank you Sig- the hug really helps!
    Aaron- you are so courageous. God bless you.
    Dear shadow, thank you for reminding me I am an adult. There is something about talking to my parents that puts me back in that teenage place.

6. BeingEarnest

An update- I have had weeks to think this through, and sort out feelings.
    Today I woke up, and tears just started streaming down my face. I wasn't in a sad mood, in fact I was in a pretty good mood. Again I the afternoon, when I had some quiet time, the tears came again. Upon reflection, I feel like I cannot hold on to it longer. By not sharing, by pretending everything is just fine, I perpetuate a family pattern that I cannot stand. I don't want to become that person. I want to be able to share who I am.

As I looked back over my life, there are times when I simply stated what I am doing, without any expectation of support or affirmation. I have a history of standing up for myself, and allowing them to respond in what ever way they will. And in each case, it turned out favorable. I believe it can be this time too.

I have started to draft a letter. As I write it, I am being mindful not to blame or shame anyone, especially not myself. Rather, I want to share my story, where I am, and the path I am on so that they can know about my life, and finally know me.

How does that sound to you all (especially if you have spoken to family?)

#6 BeingEarnest, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am 31, but I would definitely share it with them especially if you have a wife and other family and friends who back you. I don't have a significant other and am unemployed, so it's a lot different for me. I get the depression thing; I've cried for the last 2 weeks nearly everyday and have been unable to sleep much for the last month. I truly get the struggle my friend.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are doing it for yourself, so it's definitely the right thing to do. They may take the news positively, negatively or with indifference - you have no control over that, but you do have this opportunity to take some control for yourself and put behind you the pain and negativity that has swollen up inside of you for all these years. I think the tears you experienced served as an emotional release and helped to clarify what you need to do. Do it for you!

By your own admission, you have the love and support of many other people (us too) so no matter what the reaction you are not alone. This is another step on that journey of affirming who you are and becoming more whole. Feel the positive energy from doing what's right for you.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes old phobias have to die out with a generation. You can tell your family knowing that your generation, your sister, will be cool with it, even if your parents never fully accept and embrace the reality of it. You have to live your life at peace with yourself; do what you need to do to achieve that, and if your parents can't deal with it, that will have to be their problem.

10. ABeautifulMind

I agree you should tell them, but I am looking at a pragmatic angle. Not that this is even clode to the most important reason.

You said yourself, at this rate they might find out before you tell them. This is something you want coming from you I think.

11. RainbowMan

I told my parents (who were among the first people I told, rather oddly) via letter on my 34th birthday. Like you, I had a very tumultuous childhood and had no idea how they would take it. In the end, it really didn't matter - I was able to be free, and that's all that mattered (FWIW, my Mom took it quite well, and my Dad came around eventually).

The part about you working through stuff with your therapist and there being unresolved anger issues from your childhood really resonates with me - I'm dealing with much the same issues. How much of it has to do with being gay and deeply in the closet, I'm not sure - but I'm certain that some of it does, and some of it is wholly unrelated. I think that coming out to your parents may actually be helpful in terms of opening up the lines of communication about these issues.

As for your brother who goes to the "gay conversion" church, if he is not loving and compassionate towards you, and attempts to "make you straight", just remember that no matter how difficult it might be, you never have to talk to him again if you don't want to. Same goes for anyone, really - if they don't accept who you are, there's nothing that says that they have to be in your life.

12. BeingEarnest

Thank you all for your thoughts, your stories and support. It really helps.
    I wrote the letter for my family today. I will wait a few days to see if it still makes sense when I feel less emotional. (Lots of tears as I wrote it.) So I hope to send it early this next week. I kept the focus on me and my experience, and the steps I am taking now to move forward in my life and relationships.

13. person57

Hello!! Remember that you don't have to come out to your family now and you can do it whenever you feel ready. Once you come out to your family, you will feel a lot better after holding it in all these years. If your family reacts in a bad way, don't listen to them and don't care what they think. They don't matter to you if they dislike you after finding out your gay. Fuck haters. Just give them the finger and move on from them, forget about them, and don't care what they think. Good luck on coming out to them!! I believe in you and I know you can do it. Remember to love who you are and be yourself unapologetically (*hug*)

14. BeingEarnest

I talked to my sister yesterday and told her I am gay. She was surprised, and sad- knowing how painful this. But she was also understanding. Her daughter came out as bi a year ago, it is still a secret from the family. and she has gone through the difficulties of accepting this as a parent. She knows this is not an easy road, but she loves her and stands by her.
    We actually talked for a long time, openly and honestly, and it was good. She says she loves me, and is there for me.
    She thinks my parents will be okay with my being gay eventually, but that it will be painful.
    Not sure how my brother will react, but thinks it may be harsh.

I am glad that I talked to my sister, and that we are both able to talk openly about our lives.
    I should be rejoicing, But the strange thing is, I feel detached, even as I think about it now. That wall inside is still there. :-(

15. person57

That's great that you talked to your sister! Congratulations!! I'm proud of you :slight_smile: I'm sorry that you still feel detached. :frowning2: We're always here to show you love and support!! Remember that you don't have to come out to your parents now. Come out to them whenever you feel ready to. I know you can do it!! (*hug*)

16. uniqueness

uniqueness Guest

You are an independent man. Come out to them. If they reject you for that, then they never truly loved you.

17. BeingEarnest

I sent the letter to my parents today.
    I feel like another heavy weight has been lifted off my chest.
    I am thankful for that, and feel at peace with however they respond.

18. person57

Congratulations!!! I'm so proud of you and I knew you could do it (*hug*)

19. etcetera

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well done! As a guy still in the closet, I've become all too familiar with the mental barrier that keeps you from saying the truth. It's a b**ch to get over. You, my friend, have nuked that motherf**king barrier.

20. Candace

Congrats on sending the letter! I know that you had to muster up a lot of courage to do it. I am dying of suspense in hearing their reactions. Best of luck to you, good sir :slight_smile:.