1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to my friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pixxelarcticfox, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Pixxelarcticfox

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok so note that I'm 13 so all my friends are really over dramatic. But I posted this thing on Instagram of these characters from an name I watch that are gay and I'm kinda obsessed with them because they are adorable... Ok I'm getting off topic sorry, but she said she didn't support gay rights and I was just kinda like, um ok I Totally wasn't playing on coming out to you this week anyways, but my other friend Sydney said I was being rude for asking why she didn't support it and she started getting really really mad at me and said it was cus of religious stuff (( I'm an atheist )) and that really ticked me off but basically now where not friends and I was planing on telling the girl I have a crush on I was lesbian today but I'm afraid she'll be homophobic like Sydney was (( I'm not telling her I like her yet)) so it would really hurt if she was but... I don't know I'm just confused

2. cathy7

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try to find out if she is homophobic before you come out to her. Bring up the topic of gay rights or gay marriage and say that you saw it on the television or the internet so she doesn't question why you are talking about it as much. Then you can make your decision to tell her based on that.

3. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sometimes people sound homophobic or making jokes around it but it's different when they have to face it with someone they care about, specially when you are so young. We tend to act this way cause it's just what society "teach" us to do.
    I have backed down on coming out many times for thinking my friends wouldn't be supportive, considering comments they have made, but when i came out to them they were very supportive.
    It's a good idea to do what cathy7 up above here said. But at 13 it's very hard to have a convinced opinion about something so polemical. If she reacts badly, try to explain to her better this is not something you chose or something you are doing as a rebellion act or anything like that, maybe she just doesn't know what opinion to stand for in this situation.