1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The struggles of a professional...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kasey, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The students from my GSA are doing a day of silence tomorrow. For one as a teacher I can't participate.

Two... they said "We know you're an ally and supporter"...

That fucking hurt so much to hear. I wanted to just shout it out and show them the transgender keychain in my pocket and the flag back ground on my phone... let alone my pics that you all see of me as I truly am.

Ughhhhhh. Is it worth supporting them by getting most likely fired for coming out without tenure? No, too much is at stake.

That hurt way more than I thought...

I don't know if there is a point to this but not coming out is harder than coming out in this case for me.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Ayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dear Kasey

Hang in there! Once you get tenure, I assume you can be as proud, out and supportive of any causes close to your heart as you want to be.

I really feel for you, it is obviously a difficult and distressing situation you are in. However time does fly and you will be out the other end of this sooner than you realise.

Try to focus on the other positives in your work and, if needed, engage in activism outside your professional sphere. This will help make time fly faster and easier.

(PS I don't actually know what a GSA is and what "doing a day of silence" is but assume they relate to sexuality and gender identity issues).

i wish you all the best.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't you like tell them anyway and it'll only become an issue if parents get ahold of that information or you are you afraid that your gender will spread in the halls of the high school?
    GSA stands for "Gay/Straight Association" it's a group that stands up for LGBT issues. Day of silence is a day that symbolizes the silence of LGBT people.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ayla I love my job. I love my students and school. I get paid well.

I'm not at the point I'm physically dysphoric enough that I have to have a sex change and feminizing surgery and such... but socially it drives me nuts that I'm the dude bro teacher who is respected and also liked by the students.

However, Randy put it best. The GSA is the either gay straight alliance or gay student association or the like. Day of silence represents two things.

LGBT students and youth are so closeted that they literally won't talk due to being outed. It represents also the inability for us to tell people about who and what we really are.

I've interacted with the only trans male in our school and he liked my shirt I had on one day and had it as well. He wanted to be twins. I said let's do it. It made his day, but little did he know how much I hate dressing like this. I wanted to whisper in his ear "I'm just like you but opposite".

But I can't do that.

I had a similar situation when going in for my review with my principal. He noticed I interact with the lgbt students and the "geeks" (he didn't say that word but). I wanted to tell him, know why? Because I am one of them.

Ughhhhhh... today was an arrow through my heart being unable to tell the two lesbian students that I'm not just an ally...

Ugh.

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I could never do a day of silence, I'm never not talking. I've been on EC three weeks and I already have over 400 posts. If there was a day where we're not supposed to shut up for a single moment to support a good cause, I'd be good at that.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would and can be silent.

I cannot though as the teacher. I have responsibilities.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tried one day but sort of hard when you're in Spanish class and you have to talk.

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to give instructions... When dealing with caustic sodium hydroxide solutions. And review day.

If I had no responsibilities I would. And any respectable school and teachers should know that if you indicate it is that day then please allow said student to remain quiet.

I have 15 students of mine who are.

I'll post my picture on the thread in a minute.