1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as Questioning to Therapist?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheStormInside, Jun 12, 2014.

1. TheStormInside

I am still feeling uncertain about my sexuality, and I've been trying to work through it on my own. I've spoken with one friend online about things, and he's been supportive and lent an ear but he's also implied that he can't handle it alone, I think I may have overwhelmed him a bit, which I understand. I have been feeling like the next logical step for me is to talk to my therapist about my feelings and my confusion. I've been unable to bring it up in my recent sessions with her. I've been seeing her for over four years regarding anxiety and depression. She's also been with me through a complicated relationship and breakup with a guy so I worry a little she may not feel my concerns are legitimate. But, I know she deals in LGBT issues and while I'm not positive I think she may be gay herself (she's mentioned a "partner" in the past) so hopefully she'd be open and understanding.

I don't see her for another couple of weeks, I'm just pondering this to myself at the moment. I was planning to email her to tell her I'm questioning my sexuality so that I don't have to bring it up on my own in my next appointment. I feel if I leave it to myself to bring it up verbally in the moment I will back out, so that will be the best course of action.

So my question is this- have others come out to therapists as questioning, or as LGBT at all? Did you find it helpful? Was your therapist able to help you sort through some of the things going on in your head, or did it end up leading to even more confusion?

2. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

Only advice is make sure its a LGBT friendly place. You never know, but more then likely it will.

3. TheStormInside

Her website indicates that one of the areas she works with are LGBT issues, so I'm fairly confident it should be a LGBT friendly place. It's also come up (in a very in passing manner) about other people and she expressed no negativity, for example when I told her a friend came out as bisexual some time ago.