1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my older cousin (he's gay)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Water lover, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Water lover

Water lover Guest

Well I am thinking about coming out to my older cousin just for some support from people I know. I am no where near coming out to the rest of the world but I kinda feel O.K with coming out to him because he is also gay and has a bf. Though I don't really know if I wan't to because coming out was easy(ish) for him and I kinda feel like he will tell my parents. My family is really kinda strange because there are around like 6 gay/lesibian people in my extended family it's at more than 50% but I am not able to bring my self to do it. For the sake of my friends (insane crush on my best friend (I think he is striaght :bang::bang::bang:slight_smile: and I live in a rural area (dumb farmers are anything but accepting)) I guess really this is a question for me to make but should I accept a hope that my cousin won't tell my parents or should I keep it to myself for the time being???

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should definitely come out to him if you feel ready. Just tell him that it's important to him that he not tell anyone else, and he should certainly understand. He's likely been in a similar situation, or at least can easily imagine being in one, and will get why it's important to keep it a secret.

3. Water lover

Water lover Guest

I know this will sound whimpy but I am finaly at a point in my life in which I have friends with most of them being guys. I know they will be ok with it but some of them are immature and I probably wouldn't be spending as much time with them as I do now. Also the main reason is that I live in a rural area and well lets just say not everyone is very progressive minded I guess one of my friends trying to commit suicide because of it has kinda freaked me out so at this point in time I am not ready. As soon as I am out of this little hell whole I call my town of 1500 people. I will be signing it to the world (respectivly not really just a little hyperbole)

4. Hyaline

Having been through it himself, he will understand the reason for you not wanting him to repeat it. If you goal is to seek out someone to vent to when you need to, he might be a good sounding board when you need it.

You'll have to find your own time to come out. But it sounds like you are well on your way. If you start to feel lonely, jump on here and I am sure someone will give you plenty of reasons to cheer up!!