1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you review my letter to one of my best friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ardard, Jun 13, 2014.

1. ardard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My friend i sour on vacation and i plan on sending this to him when he gets back what do you think?

Nolan,
    I have been keeping something from you for along time that i need to tell you. I know that you are terrible at keeping secrets but i hope you can keep this one. Nolan i am gay. I hope that this doesn’t change anything between our friendship because as you know you are one of my best friends.
    From, Alex

2. LiquidSwords

Honestly there's not anything I'd change. You set it up like it's something important, which I imagine it is for you. Obviously he needs to know it's not something he can share and you've got that. Then that you hope you can still be friends as before, it's all there!

I've never come out with a letter before but if I did this would pretty much be it, hope it goes well :slight_smile:

3. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Short and to the point. That can be a very good strategy. It avoids all of the confusing stuff that can be really hard to explain in writing. It leaves it open for questions as well, which can be a good thing because that way he has the opportunity to know as much as he wants and no more. He may not care about the whole deep touchy-feelsy stuff, so keeping it short and sweet can avoid breaking his brain with a whole bunch of stuff he may not understand.

From a content standpoint it looks good, but there are one or two little grammar nitpicks that I noticed: a long time (instead of along; wrong word there), and I should be capitalized as a personal pronoun.

Good luck! I hope he takes it well.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with the other comments, it's fine. It's to the point and gets the most important detail across without fuss. If he wants to know more he can ask you.

Hope it goes well.