1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling tired and stressed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kdude, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Kdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Recently I've been feeling like time is moving too fast and everyone around me is growing up, having relationships, buying houses etc. and I'm just not there yet. I've been struggling recently after celebrating another birthday that there is so much I haven't done and that all of my friends are miles ahead of me but I'm almost at a point I'm ready to start. I'm not really sure what happened to be honest but over the last few months I've come out to several more friends and one of my siblings and it all went well. I used to feel so much better after telling someone but now I am feeling very anxious and a bit down even though I know I have made so much progress in the last year. I really only have one sibling and my parents left to tell myself but suddenly my momentum has slowed right down.

Has anyone else been here before? Like you're so close to being open but taking the last couple of steps seems impossible?

2. Undertow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From what you say, it sounds like you have made progress...coming out takes courage, because it always seems like a bit of a gamble. You may feel like you're slowing down, but I think that's actually a pretty common feeling. The first several times you come out, it feels like this huge weight off your chest, but it starts to become rather tedious.

This actually sounds similar to my experience for the past year or so. I noticed that all of my (completely straight) friends and acquaintances seemed to be marrying, having kids, settling down, etc. Meanwhile, I'm just coming out to people (despite knowing for years), and I feel like I'm lagging behind everyone in terms of life progress. I want to just be totally open about it, but I feel like something is holding me back. Is that sort of close to what you're describing?

3. Kdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That sounds a lot like how I feel. I try to tell myself that I have to give myself time and that things don't happen overnight but I can't help feeling sometimes like my friends who are straight take for granted the fact that they are able to live openly without hiding. What also bothers me a lot is that it took me so long to accept myself and when I finally did I thought it was going to be so easy from there, I had no idea the disclosure process would be so exhausting.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Same boat. It gets very depressing. You either make peace with it, become incredibly depressed about it and progress even less, or just pretend you never aged past 19 so that you still perceive having lots of time to do things. I'm aiming for the last one, to be honest :v

You'll be okay, friend :slight_smile:

5. Gambit

I feel the same way. I have made a lot of progress since I joined EC long time ago, but I still need that final push to be fully free. I feel like I'm wasting my "20s", and the feeling has gotten worse now that about to turn 25. I know it is all up to me to fix this, but taking those last steps appears to be so difficult.