1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love my (straight?) best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by runs, Jun 14, 2014.

1. runs

I'm bi prolly more on the gay side. I have a friend I met a while back. Decent age gap. He was 13 and I was 17 or maybe 18. Now I'm 21 n he is 16. Little more than a year and he will be 18. I've always thought he was cute n try to not friend cute people or I get into situations like my current one. Even tho he was cute he was chill af so I befriended him. I really like him and it hurts cuz I'm pretty sure he's straight and I'm dreaming of something that will never happen. When we first met he would come over every once and a while and when we'd go to bed we'd share a bed or the floor. Sometimes when he'd be asleep I'd act like I'm sleeping and force my arm under head so he'd lay on it and most the time he would wake up and shake his head then lay it on my arm or chest but I do if he realized it. So those cuddly nights made me think he might be gay. When we'd be at his house and he would showerhead would then walk round in just his boxers so there was another sign. Almost 2 years later he got weirded out by the sleepovers I think and ignored me and didn't hang out with me. He also asked bout me being gay and wanted d me to say I was I think cuz he didn't like gay people. I said I was straight but he didn't believe me and ignored me. It drove me into depression. Maybe he was to scared to admit he liked boys too. I moved on and bout 6 months later we started hanging again. He asks me if I hate gay people and I say no but the loud and proud ones are annoying. We hung of and on the past year or so and I dint have many friends so I considered him my best friend but probably not mutual. I got a place and we've been talking bout him renting here when he is 18. He finally stayed over last night for the first time in how long. It was just me and him and in the morning I seen him sleeping and got to thinking how attracted I am to him. Then got depressed because I feel like Im dreaming of something that will never be. He keeps talking bout girls. His sister was talking to me and said*she swore he was going to be gay when he was younger so she thought the same and thinks the same bout him being straight. It's confusing and I don't know what to do. My questions are, do you think he is straight, bi, or gay? Should I tell him I'm bi? Should I tell him I like him? Should I have him move in? I think he is straight or bi:frowning2: and I feel if I say I'm bi he won't be my friend and he's all I got for friends and I might be more depressed. Especially if I say I like him he probably won't move in. We get along great and I'd love to have him as a roomy but might get depressed living with someone that might never feel the same way bout me. Idk please help and sorry for the novel.

---------- Post added 14th Jun 2014 at 12:12 PM ----------

Oh and no one knows I'm bi but many suspect it. Also this is random but we've had times where we haven't texted in days or weeks then send each other almost identical texts asking something and send them at the exact same time it's weird. I've never clicked And had so much in common with someone before. Birthday few days apart, hobbies same, divorced
    Parents, parents profession is the same, same taste in music, food, cars, sense of humor. I'd swear he's my twin. I feel a strong bond. That's why it kills me to thinks he's straight.

#1 runs, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  2. canoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A tough situation. But if I were you I think I would tell him that I'm bi and see how he reacts. Even if he likes males too he might need some time to process it, so, if you tell him just give him time no matter how he responds.

I had a crush on my former best friend back when we were in high school too. He didn't hate me for it, nor was he ever rude to me when I came out to him but he grew distant because he didn't want to give me false hope. This is different though, since I knew for certain that my friend was straight and I came out to him because I felt guilty for hiding the truth from him. We still talk from time to time, but after we graduated we went our separate ways. I was depressed for a while when he grew distant but after a while I got better and I don't regret anything that happened. I'm actually glad I told him.

I say do it. Muster up your courage and go with it. Even if it ends bad at least you won't look back and say "What if he felt the same about me and was just afraid to tell? Now I will never know...". If you love him I think it's worth the risk.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should start by coming to him as bi, and then see what his reaction is. Save how you feel about him for later, or never depending on how he receives your announcement. It would be a mistake to invite him into a house sharing situation under false pretenses. It is also good to get this sorted out and give him some time to think about himself; maybe he is gay or bi and will come out to you at some point in time.

4. runs

Thanks for the advice I'll toy around with the subject with while I'm building up the courage to tell him I'm bi and if he shows hate towards gays I Prolly won't tell him but if he says he doesn't judge I'll tell him bout being bi and see where that goes. I hope he is bi but Id definitely settle for him being straight and non discriminatory and still be friends. I just don't want to loose another friend and I really don't want people finding out bout me through him but I think I can trust him. Got some thinking to do. Haha. Thanks guys

5. canoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No problem :wink: Please do update us with the results.

6. runs

K been doing some thinking. I been dieting and trying to loose wait so what I'm going to do is bring up gay topics just to get more of an understanding where his thoughts and feelings are bout gays. I will do this over the next month or 2 while I'm dieting and if I feel he won't reject me I'll come out to him. Also the reason being that I feel if I'm more attractive when I come out it may help for him to come out too if he is big/gay. Might be just enough. I know he was looking at an old pic of mine and saying bro you should get back down to that weight you looked good and Prolly get more chicks. I think it was bro talk and him trying to help me out not him trying to make me look better for him, though I wish haha. I'd do almost anything for him, wish I knew if he was gay cuz then I'd really work to loose weight if I knew it was for him haha. Almost half way done with my diet.

7. runs

Forgot to mention. When he suspected me being gay and stopped hanging with me he kept asking if I was "attached" to him probably meaning love him I can almost guarantee as soon as I come out he will ask if I'm attracted to him. I know Itll be a couple months but what should I say when he asks? Yes(the truth), no (a lie), or hadn't thought of it and wouldn't cuz I respect our friendship and your orientation(first part lie second part truth). Pros and cons to both depending on his orientation and opinion on gays.

Yes could scare him away or make it easy for him to come out. No could relieve him or make him feel bad and not wanna come out. The halfway one is most neutral I think.

8. runs

Be sure to read my last posts. Got a question in there.

UPDATE:
    Here's the update. Today I had my friend work for me for my business and I talked to him about gays briefly. Asked him if he hated them and he said some. The. Loud and proud ones that talk like chicks or dress like chicks. Can't blame him and sorry to who this offends but that type isn't my favorite either. So there's my first baby step. Hoping its a good sign for when I come out that means he won't hate me but still might hang with me less. Well see.

9. Howl

I think you should talk to him about gays and stuff. L
    ike, "Oh, did you know ____ was gay?" and see how he responds.
    If he responds negatively, then I'd leave it at being friends.
    If he responds positively, then I'd come out to him.
    I'm sorry if this didn't really help, buy I hope it did.