1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When you came out did people find it comical?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by straightqueer20, Jun 14, 2014.

1. straightqueer20

I came out sorta at the end of my high school years sorta. Like I claimed when I was 12 I felt that I was a gay boy or whatever. It was just when I was 12 I realized I didn't really fit with with my peer really and the road I was on seemed like the wrong one. I always did not feel it was a good idea for me. Before that point I hadn't really identified as male or female. I just felt nothing. I changed my mind because it got weird and when I came out to my family shortly after that I started to be abused for that reason. So I kind of just tried to take it back. Growing up I got more feminine and masculine seemingly. But most of my femininity is based on the sexual side not my regular self. But anyway, I realized when I was 17 I didn't identify either way. I at the time identified as bigender. I came out again. It wasn't that bad. Not my family. I'm talking about the other people I came out to. Acted as if it was comical or that I was insane and would make jokes about it. Some just acted it was the oddest thing since I tend to like guys for the most part. At the time it was believed I only liked men. It was hard in one family because the girls kept saying I was nuts and liked girls. And everyone acted like they didn't believe me because of my sexuality. I kind of have always felt like who gives a buck it doesn't matter that much you know? Because it seemed better when people didn't know. The judgement seems better before and after. Um how do you respond/deal with someone of this character?

2. straightqueer20

I never really wanted coming out to seem like a joke reason why I've kind of just went with the way things are. People accept me as a gay man who's on the feminine side. It seems better this way that I don't have to be judged any harsher than this.

3. Devin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I came out to my friend she was just really confused. I had to explain everything to her. Then she was like "Ok." We never spoke of it again.

4. Munyal

Some of my friends though it was funny I said anything since I had been "passively" out for quite some time, but nobody really laughed or thought it was a joke.

5. straightqueer20

I guess it's just different environments. For me I was always told it wasn't really an option that I didn't know what I really wanted and the like. Maybe it's personal stereotypes I guess.

---------- Post added 14th Jun 2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

Yeah I got that quite a lot. That's I think some would say I was messed up or whatever.

6. mangotree

On the day... dad laughed, mum cried.
    I think dad was just trying to ease the tension though.

7. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My mom laughed not like a lol or rofl because I don't look gay XD.

8. straightqueer20

I'm sorry. I hope things got better after that.

9. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    to me it seemed comical. with friends mostly. they just sit there and go "THAT EXPLAINS A WHOLE LOT!" or "IT'S NO WONDER THAT YOU DIDN'T...." type of thing.

10. mangotree

It absolutely got better after that.
    Just took time :icon_bigg

11. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    first person though I was jsurt saying something random because the conversation fell still (it was at night, just went to sleep after that)
    second person + first person: first person knew I was serious now, I had to promised the second person for 100 euros.
    third person: he just tohugh I was joking, even when person 1 and 2 told him it was true he though we were all joking with him. After a while he finally accepted that it was real.
    All of them just find it super funny that I'm the guy that is gay, out o all those other guys that look gay.

12. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm out to a number of people now and I've been excepted.

13. Curiousmum

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Haha yes! I told my brother and he laughed and said "well duh! You know you really do give off that lesbian vibe sis".

14. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum laughed but more because I think it was totally unexpected and she had no idea. I think it was more out of suprise than any kind of negative reaction. She's very accepting...

Happy days :slight_smile:

15. kyrtap

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think some people don't know how to react so they try to make a joke of it to ease the tension. No one should be making fun of you for being yourself. If you consider yourself bi-gender then that is who you are. Be yourself and let everyone else figure out how to deal with it.

16. WriterGoddess

I haven't gotten much slack for coming out, although once, I came out to a group of girls - especially one who was fairly energetic - and for the rest of the semester, sometimes they would ask me questions that sometimes bordered on the silly side. I didn't mind it too much (unless they started talking about sex) because I figured it was better for them to ask a person who really did straddle the line rather than somebody who was going to feed them falsehoods.

Anyway, I'm going to concur with those above - if your buds are joking around to make light of the situation, then okay, but if they're making fun of you or bullying you or acting like it really is a joke? Then that's uncool. I would either make it clear with them that it's not a joke the next time they bring it up or else stop chilling out with them. As for your abuse situation, I'm really sorry that had to happen to you. ;A; Don't forget that we're always here for you, and there's no shame in finding someone to talk with about it.

17. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. Damn it, yes.

I told my younger sister. I thought she'd be supportive, but hell no. She laughed in my face, claimed it was "funny" - I don't think she took it seriously. She rubs it in my face: "Well, I don't care what people call me."

Yeah, okay. That's you. Stop saying it like you're better than me.