1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gayfurry97, Jun 14, 2014.

1. gayfurry97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Like my username says, I'm a gay furry. I'm kind of part of a group of friends (all guys) who I am pretty sure are all straight. I say kind of because I think we're friends but not friends. I only see them at school, and we only have four days left until summer break. I've been thinking about coming out to them before the end of school because I'm pretty sure I won't really see them over the summer. The way I see it they could either accept me or completely disown me. I want to tell them because I think I would feel better; for me being a furry is sort of depressing, and there is a (small) chance that one of them might be gay too and we can help each other.

I really don't want to be forced out of this group that I am sort of a part of, and I don't have any other friends to fall back on. Should I come out and let my "friends" think about it over the summer or wait?

2. Closeted17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Alright, well just personally I'd advise you not to come out as a furry. Telling people your orientation is one thing, but specific interests or fetishes is completely another. Nobody knows my fetish, but as of wednesday they know I'm gay.

Anyways, if you are going to come out, I would make it be on the last day, so if they do disown you, you're not stuck without a group of 'friends'. Personally, I waited until I was on summer break, because I was scared of being stereotyped and judged by my immature peers, and have the 'children' as I like to call them treat me differently than they did, even though whether I told them or not, I was gay the whole time.

It's up to you. Do you want people to be prompted to accept you on their choice? Personally, looking back, I would have came out in like 9th or 10th grade instead of waiting for after my senior year, but I'm also not sure I was ready then.

If you're ready, then you'll simply find out who your real friends are, and hopefully you can make new, real friends next year if you're not a senior (your grade was unclear).

Anyways, good luck!

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's 100% your call only you know your friends!

4. mangotree

It sounds like you're ready to tell them.
    I guess just weigh up the pro's and con's for telling them before/during/after break.

As Closeted17 said, no need to go into detail about specific kinks, that's between you and your future sexual partners.
    I'm not actually sure what gay furry means, I thought I'd heard all of the sub-cultural terms - but this one's new to me.

5. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if you're comfortable enough to do that. like happydavid said, only you know your friends. if they react any different in a negative light, then they're not your friends.
    i would think about it carefully though. i don't know what a furry is, as far as i know, being gay is already tough as it is. i'd rather let people get to know me first before they can judge me on my sexuality, that's just how i always felt and still do.

6. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Don't feel pressured to come out. Come out when you are ready. God Bless :slight_smile:

7. Teslahemian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This may seem overly calculating, but when I think about "coming out," one of my biggest concerns is, "What is my situation now?" and "How do I foresee the consequences of 'coming out' playing out?" i.e.- What do you have to gain and/or lose from "coming out." If I don't foresee a true psychological benefit to telling people about my sexuality, I don't do it.

The truth is (at least for me), my sexuality does not have anything to do with 75% of the people I know. Yeah, in an ideal world and I think it's good to move toward a more open life, but, at the same time, for the vast majority of non-immediate family and semi-close friends, whether or not I am gay has no effect at all on how and why we communicate.

You have to do what makes you feel most comfortable. But, I'd say, if you see a lot more risk than reward in telling someone about who you are (and this actually can be said for most things in life, not just sexuality), why not wait until you see the reward outweighing the risk? At the very least, it'll give you more time to think about it, too.

8. gayfurry97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not sure if gay furry is the actual term or not, but it means that I'm gay and attracted to furries (anthropomorphs).