1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out, please send help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DrSlothenstein, Jun 16, 2014.

1. DrSlothenstein

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is a girl I know and I had feelings for her, yet I always had know I was gay. We had known each other for 5 years now and after all this time, I thought she would understand me being gay. So one night, I texted her. About 3 hours had past and I finally found the courage to tell her. The only thing she did was nothing. She hasn't talked to me in months, hasn't looked me in the eyes at school, and never replies to my texts. I don't know what to do because I don't think there is anyone else who will support me. My Dad is a far right wing republican and bashes gay's at the mentioning, my brother is the same way. My Mom would be the only person but I'm worried she might think it's just a faze. Please send help, care package full of Nutella if possible

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, I have no Nutella. I'm really sorry your friend didn't take it well. When you feel comfortable, I would recommend coming out to your mom (if you really do think she'll be accepting) because it's always nice to have someone to talk to who accepts you.

And I know waiting sucks, but it does get better, and you will definitely find more accepting people to be friends with.

3. Najlen

I have no Nutella either, mostly because I ate it already. If I had some I would send it. I am really sorry about this. I have no advice for you that darkcomesoon hasn't already given, but I send my sympathies.

4. mangotree

It often helps to put yourself in the other person's shoes.

Is there a possibility that your friend liked you as more than a friend and is actually a bit heartbroken by your news?
    Or is there another possible reason that she isn't as accepting as you hoped? e.g. Religion, politics, parents, ignorance?

If I were you, I'd try to mend the friendship somehow, because it's highly likely that she misses you as well. Maybe she just needs you to make the first reconciliative move. Even if it's just telling her that you miss her.
    If it fails, at least then you know you tried your best and didn't give up on her. That's a sign of a true friend.

As darkcomesoon said, there will be many many people in your life in the not-to-distant future that will love and accept you for who you are. You've just got to open your eyes to see them.

Peace be with you.

P.S. Sorry I don't have any Nutella, I've got some vegemite in the fridge though...

#4 mangotree, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  5. DrSlothenstein

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First off, why would you ever offer me Vegemite? Second, I've tried to tell her that I've missed her, but every time, she never says anything. I can try to verbally talk to her but that won't be possible until the school year starts in September, so until then, I'm trying to find a time to tell my Mom when my Dad isn't at home. Thanks for the tips and help! I still need Nutella though .-.

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea, i would send you nutella. i'm the type of guy that would walk out at 12 midnight, go to the supermarket, and buy your nutella just because you asked for it. =P

in all cases, i definitely put some thought into this when it comes to family. i'd say put yourself in their shoes and think about how they might react. be sure what the outcome might be. it sounds like the person you can start with is your mother.if you think she would be supportive of it, by all means go ahead at the end of the day, only you would know how your parents react. and i also recommend that to come out when you are ready. the timing will not always be right but make sure you are prepared for what lies ahead.
    as for friends, they can always come and go. don't be TOO worried about it. i'd agree with mangotree. try giving it another shot by reconnecting with her again. if she doesn't want anything to do with you, then it's her loss. not yours. there will be people that will love and respect you for who you are as a individual. i hope this helps ya =P