1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out but Parents are unbelieving

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vampireboy56, Aug 22, 2008.

1. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok....I came out August 6th....but my parents said "Your 14 and your hormones are crazy...yadda yadda like that" but I do know that I'm gay...but I don't want to keep bugging them saying "I'm gay." or I don't want to come home with ten different guys every day...what should I do?

2. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

Same issue. (*hug*) Waiting for advisers. *Sits*:dry:

3. Words

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think one thing to do is educate them about homosexuality, to show that you are mature enough to know what you are talking about, and to teach them to understand what you're going through much better.

Becky makes some great suggestions on pflag materials, if you look at a few other coming out threads. Or I'm sure she'll be here in no time to post them. :slight_smile:

By the way, congrats on coming out to your parents! Keep up the good work. :wink:

#3 Words, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  4. silentsound

Definitely talk to Beckyg about this, she can help you through PFLAG materials and everything seeing as she is the parent of a gay son. Give it a little bit of time, let them see that this is not a phase and you are confident about it. Maybe they will start to see that this is not a phase, it is just who you are and that is perfectly ok.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Definitely tell them about PFLAG and download some of the materials for them. Your daughters and sons is a perfect one! When they mention hormones, ask them if they knew who they were attracted to at your age? I bet they did! You just have to keep talking to them. It may take them awhile to believe but it will eventually happen.

PFLAG materials are available for download here:

http://community.pflag.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?pid=594&srcid=416

6. Sam

Sam

I notice a lot of parents say this why I don't know. Maybe denial? I don't think parents want to face that their child is gay sometimes so they say things like "it's a phase" or "you're to young to know" I know straight 14 yr olds know they are straight (don't say that to them).

What I can say to you is for right now just give them some time to digest it. I would also suggest getting some pflag materials from Becky and after a little time maybe you can try to talk to them. If that doesn't work then give them a little more time. Other then that I don't really have any advice that I can give you but I do wish you the best and I hope they realize that you aren't to young. Eventually they will realize that this isn't just hormones.

7. Vampyrecat

If your parents say that your hormones are crazy and everything, perhaps you should ask them whether or not their hormones were crazy when they met each other, when they knew they were straight, etc.

You are the only one who knows how you really feel. So I suggest you sit your parents down, and ask your parents to ask you anything they like. It will help them understand where you are coming from and how you feel.

I tell you now, nothing impresses a parent or adult more then when they see someone young who they care about talk to them in a calm, polite, rational, logical manner. Don't lose your temper. Don't bring home 10 boys a day. Just sit them down and tell them how you feel and ask if they have any questions.

Hope this helps.

8. myra

Personally i think they are in denial. Which, while its annoying, I would have rather of had that than my mom saying that i'm going to hell. I would let it go. Maybe every now and then make a random comment on how you find a guy attractive on a commercial. It might make your parents squirm but will gradually get them out of denial i think. And maybe when you start dating, bring you're boyfriend home. I wouldn't suggest the "ten different guys every day" that you refered to but a steady boyfriend. Don't be afraid to show a little affection in front of them and they should get it soon enough. Its annoying, but they'll come out of it.