1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am a gay, need to take a decision :( Please guide me.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Karthick, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Karthick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am a 25 years old gay man from southern part of India. But no one can identify this from my behavior still now as I have maintained this secrecy with me alone. In my native out coming of my sexual orientation as gay may lead to lot of family and social problems. My mom and dad will be totally worried if they come to know that I am a gay. Also I believe that I will be isolated from my friends circle if I out come my sexual identity as gay.

I am not yet in love any guy still now. So I am in a confusion that whether I should find a gay partner for my future life or I should accept marrying a girl chosen by my parents.

Can I live with a girl and truly love her. Can I be able to become a dad if I marry. These questions are hitting my mind and making me confused. If these two things are possible I would prefer marrying a girl.

Also I don't like marring a girl and having relation ship with another guy for my pleasure. I wanna have single lovable partner for whom I should be trust worthy through out the life. Also I don't really want to hurt my lovable parents at any cause. However my internal desire is to love and live with a guy because I am a gay.

Please show me a right path and provide answers to my questions.

2. girlpower

Hi Karthick! i think you already know most of the answers. i appreciate you accept your sexual orientation which for many is not easy to confront. i understand your family and other concerns. you still have good enough time before your parents start bugging you for marriage. Did you ever try discussing lgbt issues or similar topics with any of your friends jus so to know thr pov? or with your parents/siblings? i would suggest you start making conversation with your friends to reach certain comfort level, this will help you open up a bit.
    And about marrying a girl, i'd say wait! if your parents are suggesting matches already, keep saying no until you find answer to your questions. if you still feel lost, try seeing a therapist. thr is no hurry to find a partner..be it a girl or a guy :slight_smile:

3. kyrtap

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am sorry you have a hard time. You should find out how your friends feel about gay people, maybe some of them would be supportive. As far as marrying a woman, if you are sure you are gay, then that is a bad decision, it would not be fair to her as you won't be able to completely devote yourself to her. It also would not be fair to you. You deserve to be happy with a person YOU decide to be with. You still have time but keep in mind that this is your life, all the decisions you make should be your own. I wish you the best luck with your situation.

4. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if you are actually 100% gay, you probably won't be able to love a girl the way she deserves to be loved. So marrying a girl would not be fair to said girl, unless she knew that you're actually gay and the whole thing would merely be a marriage of convenience, but from what you wrote that doesn't seem to be what you want.

I say follow your heart and be with a guy, since that's what would make you happy.

Just take it slow with your family and friends. Try to figure out how they think about LGBT issues and people at first - ask them about other countries' legalizing gay marriage or about gay celebrities etc.
    If they seem okay-ish, you may want to consider coming out.
    If they truly love you, they'll eventually accept that part of yourself .

And especially when it comes to friends, I am sure they're not as homophobic as you think. Young people everywhere are getting more and more accepting of LGBT people, and the more LGBT people they personally know, the more accepting they usually become - so by telling them you're gay and showing them that that does not change who you are as a person, as a friend, they'll come to understand that gay people are just like them.

If you live in a rural community, it might be best to move to a larger city for say studies or work, because chances are city folk are a bit more liberal and there might even be some activism and community events.

I don't know how old you are or what you are doing, but perhaps you could even move abroad for a while, say as an exchange student or to gain work experience - and while you're in a more open-minded country, you can experiment, make new friends and allies and just try out living as an openly gay person for a while, to see if it feels right.

To lighten the mood a bit, here's a video I found rather amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqH7_dYM_k

5. Karthick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dear members girlpower, kyrtap, GeekMonkey,

Thanks for all your advices. One thing I could understand now from all your statements is that marrying a girl will be disaster. So I am not gonna take that decision.

However a great fear sticks to me when ever I decide to outcome my orientation with my friends. First thing, I believe, I need to explain them that I won't harm them in any way. OMG my head is rolling ...

Regarding my parents, I can't even imagine how I am gonna explain this to them.

Big and tough task in front of me. I don't know how to play this game. Anyhow I have to play my own game.

Again, thanks for your advices.

Affectionate,
    Karthick