1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT social group: a terrifying prospect?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bevo, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Bevo

Bevo Guest

I've joined a LGBT social group thats organised through the local council and i'm very nervous...please help

I don't know what they are about and i'm also worried that someone may discover that i am part of it.
    I would greatly appreciate if any advice at all could be given.

Thanks

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Yer i want to go to one too but i might get discovered :/

3. lexie

i would actually love to go to a social group like that, even though im not comfortable with the whole thing whatsoever, id still actually want to go to one of those. seems like that would be a great place to meet new people/friends who can relate.

but i wouldnt ever go to a local one myself, id be too scared people might be there i know of. i think maybe i'll wait till ive passed my driving test, then i'll maybe give one a go further a field and i can drive there..

what exactly goes on at the meetings though? do you just talk?

anyway its great you've joined one, i dont really have much advice cause ive never been to one and dont really know what goes on at them, but good luck and let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

4. silentsound

Take a chance, give it a shot. It might end up being a really good support network for you as you work through this part of your life. Even though you might be a little bit uncomfortable at first, you might find that that becomes the place where you feel most like yourself. Also, don't worry about seeing someone you know there. If you do, well, they're there too, so what do you have to hide from each other? You're in the same boat. I do hope you'll give it a try, it sounds like a really good thing!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it is great that you joined the group. Way to go! Did you go to one of their meetings? If not, I am sure they are very welcoming and you going to have a good time. Try to be yourself.

Usually LGBT social groups have regular get togethers, and events and provide a supportive atmosphere. To learn what they are about, check if they have a website. Maybe you will also find some information on the local council website. If you are worried that someone you know might see that you are a part of it, maybe just attend meetings first, rather than joining them for a social event in the community. But do keep in mind that even if you do join them for a social event and someone who you know sees you, you can always just say that they are friends. A lot of LGBT supporters are part of LGBT social groups as well.

Hope this helps!

6. BrianCB

Social groups are usually pretty lame. We are young and want to meet other cute guys our age to talk to and hopefully date. Such has not been the case with the social groups I went to. I felt like I encountered stereotypes and was even more discouraged.

7. Vampyrecat

hey there!
    I'm actually an active member of my area's LGBT social group and I love it. We get together once a week just to talk and to "hypothetically" plan gay world domination. Usually we just end up joking around and talking about very random, slightly frightening things, but it's great fun and we always enjoy it.

Our group actually has a confidentiality agreement which you sign if you decide you want to go there. That agreement is like a contract, you cannot say who is in the group and the other members can't say if you are a member either.

You'll be fine!

8. Bevo

Bevo Guest

Thanks for your responses i feel less nervous now.

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

Thanks again

9. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Hey! I recently joined a local LGBT youth group too. I was a bit nervous at first, but I'm really glad I've joined. I've met some nice people and got some in-the-flesh validation of my feelings. Nobody has found out about it, and I don't know how they ever would, unless they too were a member, which would be fine by me :slight_smile: I personally get very frustrated at always spending time with people at school who assume I am straight, and it's very encouraging to go somewhere where everybody is queer and you have that in common. :slight_smile:

Just be brave and go for it, I think it's a really positive step to make. I would encourage everyone to investigate it because although it won't solve all your problems, you might meet one or two nice people who you feel you can be yourself with.

10. riddlerno1

I am thinking of going to a LGBT social group this wednesday, but like the original poster i am very nervous but know its the right step for me. Its in the centre of london so hopefully no chance of bumping into someone i know......Thinking about it may be easier as they would also not come out and may make it a hell of a lot better.