1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've came out to mum - She's taken it badly...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by deerstalker221, Jun 19, 2014.

1. deerstalker221

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm a trans man, I came out as transgendered to my mum today, she said that she felt that she couldn't handle it properly. Mum wouldn't look at me. (About 8-9 years ago y brother died and about 2 years ago my mum's mum died) She turned to me and said "I've already lost my son and the only person I want to talk to about this is dead (I.E.: Her mum).

When I walked upstairs I heard her crying in her room and saying: "What should I do mum? Tell me what to do!" And repeating this over and over.

I feel bad, I wanted to tell her about this but I feel bad for doing so, what should I do?

P.S.: she is acting rather blank towards me, she isn't showing any emotion.

2. marie11

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First off, it's not your fault and you have no reason to feel bad about it. Unfortunately, sometimes people don't take coming out news well. Give her some time to get used to the idea and try to make her understand you're still the same person that you were before you came out, you just wanted to be honest with her. Hopefully, she will come around even if it takes longer than you might expect. If she doesn't, there's not much you can do but find others who will support you and your gender.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that the best thing that you can do now is give her some time. Also, if she wants to ask questions, let her ask questions. It took time for you to get used to being trans, so it will take her some time as well. I hope that things get better for you soon :slight_smile:

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    definitely give her some time. some room as well. i went through a similar situation where my mom's mom (grandmother) had passed away, and for the first time she was on her own. it really puts things in perspective that not everyone gets to be around when you need them the most. try to understand a bit about what she's going through as well. don't feel bad or worst. you didn't do anything wrong. what you did, is brave.