1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I tell people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sharoy, Jun 20, 2014.

1. sharoy

Let's see...

Now that I've finally gotten ahold of my sexuality, it's time to let people know, right?

I'm not keeping it a big secret. Everyone I know is pretty accepting, and I have a lot of friends of different sexualities, so there won't be any repercussions. I just don't like telling people. I want them to know without me having to tell them.

It's weird. I'm not sure what my deal is. I should be out to my family, because I know nothing will change, but I'm not. Most of my friends still think I'm straight. I just haven't told them yet.

I just wish I'd figured it out sooner so I could have had more time to tell people. But I'm going to college at the end of summer, so I don't know what to do. Should I just post it on Facebook or something?

2. Canfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One thing at a time.
    I think you shouldn't post on facebook... all people would see it. I know that you want to get your sexual orientation aknowledged, but there are other methods. Maybe you should tell first your best friends first, or your close family members. You said you have friends with different sexualities so it should be ok, but don't be too quick making your moves.
    You can tell personally, or through an sms or a Private message on facebook, but personally it would be better, because you would know directly how the person would react.
    I wish you good luck. (!)

3. sharoy

To be clearer, if someone were to ask me, or it somehow came up in a conversation, I would tell them the truth. But they don't, and it doesn't.

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2014 at 08:59 AM ----------

That's the issue. I guess I don't want to know how they'd react. I don't want it to be personal, I just want it to be common knowledge among people I know.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't need to come out if you don't want to. Personally, i like the idea of coming out, but it's not an obligation.

If you want to, you can post it on Facebook, or just tell them personally, in a conversation or ask them if you can talk about something important.

Just remember: A secret between 2 persons isn't a secret anymore. And, if you choose facebook, you are totally not hiding it anymore.

You should do it the way you feel more confortable :wink:

5. sharoy

I'm definitely not trying to hide it, it's just that I don't feel comfortable bringing it up in conversation. I don't want it to be a big deal, I just want to tell people casually, but there never seems to be a right moment for it

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to get the message across in general without having to say the three words, you can always do it by wearing a gay T-shirt, rainbow bracelet or other jewelry, or send out some texts or emails to people selectively. The ones who want to talk to you about it will probably start a conversation, but you can end it pretty easily by saying it's true, but I would rather not talk about it if you don't mind, I just wanted to be honest and let you know.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you tried coming out non-verbally or indirectly?

Non-verbal examples:

1. If you have a boyfriend, kiss him on the cheek in front of your friends.
    2. When people are talking about girls, act uninterested.
    3. If someone tries to hook you up with a girl, also look uninterested.
    4. Exaggerate your ogling of your waiter's ass.

Indirect verbal examples:

1. "He's pretty cute."
    2. "Girls are so-so."
    3. "Will there be boys at the party?"
    4. "Sorry, I can't. I have a date and he's pretty impatient."

Yeah, I know most of these will probably be false, but hey, if it gets them to ask, "Wait, you're gay?" or better yet, "Wait, you're bi?" then it has served its purpose.

If they do come to the conclusion you're gay and not bi, simply say, "No, I'm bi."

8. girlpower

i can relate to what you wrote. i have similar kinda of concerns about almost everything when i have to disclose something to my friends or family. i jst want them to know frm smwhere else so that i dont have to explain or say anything. well! you can simple drop a message or talk it out in a chat with your best friend or one n two other frnds too. i'm sure they'l drop hints to other frnds.. that way you dont have to go n let evryone know. and in your family you can talk to smone your are really close to, he/she can convey it on your behalf to other members. :slight_smile:

9. sharoy

Well, if I had a boyfriend, the world would know it just as much as if I had a girlfriend. Something I have done is flirt with some of my friends, guys and girls, but I think they just think I'm joking around.

10. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same problem :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The other suggestions above are really great!
    Maybe if there's a guy you like, you could ask him out and casually drop in conversation at some point that you have a date with a dude? Or if someone is talking about hot guys just go "oh yeah" and chime in

11. sharoy

I've tried to say it indirectly, but it just gets lost on them, or they think it's a joke

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2014 at 10:36 AM ----------

Hmmm... I don't know, I guess that works. I'm still considering just posting it on Facebook, though

12. Chubba

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am in the same boat. I know people around me are going to accepting of it...and I've come to terms that I do like guys as well as girls.....its just being afraid to be vulnerable and being hurt again...but I so desperately want to at least tell my best friend. I think timing is everything...there will come a time when you'll feel ok to say it I guess..but it comes with time.

13. sharoy

@karaokerockstar
    What I did when I was figuring it out was pull aside one of my friends who I knew was bi and tell her I was questioning. She gave me some advice, but it wasn't the advice that helped. It was just the act of telling her. It cleared my head of being so stressed about it and allowed me to finally find what I was looking for. It also helped me get accustomed to people knowing. I still have trouble telling people (as evidenced by this thread), but it definitely helped a lot just to tell one person in private.

14. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how old you are... But I'm pretty much the same. I just draw a rainbow flag on my hand and wait for people to notice XD As of yet, no-one has noticed except my friends. But they will. Eventually.

15. sharoy

Haha! I love it! A lesbian friend of mine made me one of those really cool rubber band bracelets. It basically alternates between black and colors of the rainbow, and it has a rainbow peace sign on it. Maybe I should start wearing it and see what people think!

16. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a rainbow jumper/hoodie and some kid who's assumed I'm lesbian saw me wearing it and started whispering to his friend and looking back at me. I don't really like the "wearing a rainbow, must be gay" method because I know several people who just like rainbows. I just like rainbows, to be honest. I'd much rather let people know I'm gay just by slipping it in there.
    Like today, my friend Ewen who I suspect to be gay (god forbid I ask him though because what if I'm wrong omg) was talking about how he ships me with my Chemistry partner, Bradley. Bradley is rancid to start with but I was like "Ewen I don't even like boys"
    "You what?" (it was loud)
    "I don't even like boys."
    "Like what?"
    "Boys."
    "Oh, well maybe you'd turn for a man hunk like Bradley!"

He was joking and Bradley is pretty much just a mullet on toothpicks but it was really funny XD

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2014 at 07:42 PM ----------

Ok THAT is cool. Is it a loom band?

17. sharoy

Yes, I think it is called a loom band.

My 8 year old cousin figured out all on her own how to make a flower shape on a loom. I was really impressed; it actually looks really neat!

I personally don't have the patience for something like that. :/

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2014 at 12:00 PM ----------

You know, thinking about it now, she probably gave the band to me to help me come out. I wish I'd thought of it sooner

#17 sharoy, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  18. Loira

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm pretty much the same away with my friends (I have only come out with friends), I really wanted them to know but it seemed very hard to actually say it aloud for some reason. One day I was just done and I did tell one of my closest friends as she was talking about guys non stop so i just told her. With the rest... sometimes it was we were partying (which made for an interesting night) and with others I just sort of try and say something that would make them react to it and usually it works (as in commenting about girls, or even kissing one... subtle!)

I don't know, I'm kind of scare that if I make it sound to serious others will take it that way. No idea how to come out to my family though... still thinking about that one.

19. sharoy

Yeah, I don't know. I'm usually a pretty easygoing person, and it's hard for me to be serious about something for very long. Maybe that's my problem?

20. hoodie boy

You can always ease into coming out. Wearing bracelets and other clothing that hints at your orientation will provide others the opportunity they need to ask you, if you're not comfortable confronting them. I'm in the closet, but I make myself wear rainbows on at least a weekly basis.