1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emailed my therapist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheStormInside, Jun 20, 2014.

1. TheStormInside

I just emailed my therapist.. I don't know if this is perfect, but this is what I wrote:

It took me at least a half hour to just hit the "send" button. :icon_redf

My next session with her is on Tuesday... any advice on how to discuss these topics? My mind has been swirling with so much confusion, decision, indecision, thoughts past and present. I don't even know where to start.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there. I think it's pretty brave for you to bring it up like that, even if it wasn't face-to-face. I understand how difficult it is, but I don't know why.

As for suggestions, you may want to bring a notepad and a pen or something in case you feel uncomfortable with talking. I don't think she would mind, would she? And you can also request that she ask yes-no questions, so include of your mind racing for words, you can just shake or nod your head.

I never really went to a therapy session, though, so these suggestions are just things I think would help me. Maybe they'll work out for you?

Good luck!

3. TheStormInside

Thanks. I don't know why it's so hard, either. The only other person I've talked to about it outside this forum is a long distance friend who I speak to mostly online, so that was also in text. And I pretty much had a panic attack doing it, even though I knew he'd totally be fine with it (and of course he was).

I knew I had to email, as otherwise I would have just spent another session coming up with small problems to fill the time, or pretending I was doing well, like I have the last several even though this has been weighing heavily on my mind.

I'm not sure if she'd let me get away with writing, but I will bring a notepad in case. The "yes/no" questions might work if that's all I can manage, though. Thanks for the suggestions. She responded to me with a pretty brief email but it was positive and said she'd help me talk about what I am feeling. So hopefully she'll be patient with me if I can't say too much. Oddly, my biggest fear right now is that she's not going to believe me.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it's any comfort to you, that's a very common fear. I was thinking of going to a therapist myself, and I got really stressed because I kept thinking they would insist I'm going through a phase - BS! - or that I'm just finding another way to deal with low self-esteem or something like that. Funnily enough, my self-esteem as improved quite a bit since I accepted myself. Haha!

But, think of it this way. Therapists are trained in this sort of stuff. They're supposed to support you, not make you feel worse by shooting down your feelings. Besides, how would they know how you feel? It's up to you to communicate it over, right?

In any case, I hope all goes well. Mind updating us on how it goes?

5. TheStormInside

I'm glad I'm not alone, then. If you are still thinking of going to a therapist, maybe you can try to find one who specializes in LGBT issues? I'm fortunate in that the one I've been seeing for years for anxiety and depression also works in those areas, so I knew she should be accepting. I just worry as she's worked me through a relationship and breakup with a guy, and a recent crush. So I'm not sure if she'll understand why I'm doubting my feelings toward men so much now. I worry a little less about her questioning my attraction toward women, as I have concrete examples heh.

You're totally right, therapists are supposed to support you. Sometimes supporting you doesn't always mean agreeing with you, though, haha. But you're correct, I don't think she'd just shoot my feelings down without a thought. Communication is key, but it's also clearly going to be an issue for me in this circumstance. I don't think I should expect to get everything out in this one session, I will have to try to remind myself of that, that it will be a process.

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only one who lives near us only deals with adults. D: But there are two more who helps with LGBT, they just don't specialize it. Maybe I'll end up going to one of them, maybe not.

I feel you about the support =/= agreement though. Haha.

And, thank you! Good luck.

7. Really

What if you went back through your posts here and printed out any that talked about anything you'd like to go over with her? You could highlight the phrases that would help you verbalize your questions/issues. Take the printouts and use them for reference.
    Just a thought.

8. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! That took an incredible amount of courage to be vulnerable enough to tell your therapist. If you haven't already, you should treat yourself. Pint of ice cream or another small thing that brings you joy. :slight_smile: I know it's scary to move forward, but it sure beats being frozen with fear.

9. TheStormInside

I don't think that you'd really need to see someone who specializes in it as long as they are someone who has a good amount of experience with LGBT patients and issues. That way going in you already know they are open and accepting and have some knowledge of what LGBT people go through.

Thanks!

That is a good idea, thanks! I might print them, or I might go through and try to pick specific things that seem most pressing and most important to communicate, and make a list from there.

Thanks :slight_smile: . I'm still pretty nervous, as the difficult conversations are yet to come, but I am feeling good about the decision to move forward instead of remaining frozen in place as I have for so long. And that's one decision out of the way, "to tell therapist or not to tell therapist?" Action is hard, but hopefully it will be rewarding.

10. TheStormInside

I went to the bakery to get an indulgent pastry breakfast this morning, the total came to $7.77 and the woman working the register said "It's your lucky day!" :lol:

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It honestly took me a couple months to bring it up with my first therapist, so I can relate to how difficult bringing it up is - I'm happy that you've been able to get past that barrier! :slight_smile:

As for how she will react, if she's worth the degrees in her name she will be able to deal with it. I wouldn't fear her disbelief, either - frankly I wouldn't have many kind things to say about a therapist that didn't - I suspect you'll be fine in that regard.

I wonder if you might feel comfortable bringing it up in a small way like "So, about the email I sent you [after verifying that she got the email]. I would like very much to talk about it, but I find it difficult to bring up in person. So I don't know how to go about it."

Or something along those lines? Assuming difficulty bringing it up in person is still the case for you, anyhow.

#11 Browncoat, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  12. TheStormInside

Thanks, Browncoat. Yeah, I'm honestly hoping she'll open the discussion on it since I expressed I was having a hard time bringing it up, she replied so I know she did receive the email. She usually asks me at the beginning of the session how things are going and if there's anything specific I want to talk about, though, so if it's the same routine I'll definitely follow your advice to refer to the email.

13. Max990

Max990 Guest

Hey Storm,
    The email you wrote was perfect:slight_smile: Well done sending it!
    I'm sending an email to my own therapist tonight, for Monday. I failed to bring it up in the last session. My intense anxiety over this is quite funny, as it's going to be confidential. But I can't help but be scared. I had no idea how to write it, yours has been a good help!

It's very likely your therapist will open the discussion.
    Can only imagine this will be positive, look forward to seeing you report back:slight_smile:

14. TheStormInside

Thanks, Max. Good luck with your own therapist! I understand the anxiety, it's really, really hard. For me I'm more afraid to have to open my mouth and form the words to express my thoughts and feelings. It's not about the confidentiality. I think I'm a little scared that this will make things all the more "real," if that makes sense? I have moments where I think "of course I'm not gay, what was I thinking?" or that things feel very surreal, still, though I don't anticipate that will go away very quickly. I guess it's only natural when your life feels like it's about to turn be turned sideways, and what you expected might all change.

Let me know how your appointment goes, as well!

15. Max990

Max990 Guest

I did it:eek:
    The therapist was fantastic with me. Except now she's putting the pressure on for me to come out to a friend soon. She knows I'll leave it for ages otherwise. Guess she's pretty much decided I'm gay though I never said it. Honestly I guess I am, it was and is just too hard to accept. Anyways I'm glad I did this. I feel really great actually.

16. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just had to pop in here and say congratulations - you made it!

(*hug*)

EDIT: Apparently you have to actually select an emoticon instead of typing it out...

17. TheStormInside

That's great Max, I'm glad to hear your appointment went so well :slight_smile: . Congrats!

I'm up, tomorrow. I'm really really nervous, but your post has given me a little more optimism :slight_smile:

18. WriterGoddess

I don't think there's any reason to stress! I would just take all of the anxiety and just . . . let it go. :icon_wink

*crickets*

ANYWAY, I think the email was great, and I think that you're taking a great first step. And as for the doubting thoughts, I'm with you there! I came out of the closet to myself two years ago, and I had a lot of moments of "I'm not attracted to ladies . . .". So clearly it's not THAT uncommon; it's just an aspect of questioning.

Anyways, just stay positive, because for the first time in forever, you can escape the storm inside of me! I mean, uh, you! *sweats nervously*

19. Max990

Max990 Guest

Thanks guys :slight_smile:
    Yeah you definitely will be nervous, but think you'll come out of it feeling a lot better.
    I'm still a bit lost and scared but I seriously haven't stopped smiling since the appointment.
    Hope you feel the same way.

20. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I remember doing that. It's NERVE-WRACKING at the time, but withing a few days I was feeling better than I had in years ^_^