1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I keep avoiding coming out . . . Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tardis221B, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

Does anyone else forget that the majority of the population will automatically assume you are straight?

I'm out to my mom and my best guy friend, but no one else. And I have finally reached a point where I feel at peace with myself. But I sort of have a funny predicament, I have thought about my sexuality for so long (everyday for the past 8 months, and on and off for 3 years) that I now wrongly assume that everyone knows I like girls.:lol:

I automatically assume people think I'm a lesbian, when in fact they assume i'm straight. :dry: And this is where it gets tricky and my logic is kind of funny. Because I wrongly assume that everyone thinks that I like girls, I don't see the point in coming out. :eusa_doh:

The fear is still there a little bit, but its more like not wanting to share my personal life more than anything else. I know need to tell my dad, but I'm just too lazy, and I guess a part of me is still a little bit afraid that I might change my mind. (Even though I highly doubt that.) But thinking about the number of people I will have to tell is exhausting, daunting, and in all honesty I just feel too darn lazy to tell them all. I probably have at very least 5 important people left that I need to have a heart to heart with. :icon_eek:

Anyone else?

2. Najlen

That did not happen to me, but I can see why it would. You don't have to come out to anyone if you don't want to or don't feel ready. You can wait as long as you want/need to. You can always come out through e-mail or a letter if you feel more comfortable with that. Good luck!

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    BIG disclaimer: Don't try this is you're not this sort of person.

I'm serious.

Don't.

Anyway, I'm a person who won't do anything until I'm forced to. This includes coming out. I was very, very uncomfortable, but I forced myself to say, "Mom, I need to tell you something." Yes, I regretted it, and yes, I wanted to crawl into a hole, but my mother wouldn't let me. She just kept pushing. Many, many people find this inconsiderate and too uncomfortable, but I appreciated it, because if she dropped it, I wouldn't be able to come out to her. Ever. So I made her force me to, and once I did, everything was OK.

Sort of.

Well, it was as OK as it would ever get. She took it quite well.

Best of luck!

4. hoodie boy

Don't worry about coming out to people if you don't care whether they know or not. If you feel the need to tell people about your orientation, set up a schedule for yourself. Choose which people you're going to tell and when you're going to tell them (the task will be less daunting if spread over a period of time). This should allow you to overcome any personal laziness. If coming out to these people is your goal, then hold yourself accountable.

5. HTBO

I made a list of people that I wanted to tell. I've told more people, but usually it's during a conversation that presents an opportunity, or I decide I want to tell that person. Coming out is a process that never ends. Every time you meet someone new, chances are they will assume you are straight, and you'll be left with the decision of when and if you should tell them. Do it at your own pace, and tell those who you don't want to find out secondhand.