1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by supernova, Jun 20, 2014.

1. supernova

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi :smilewave (sorry for the long post....)

I have a bit of a problem. Before I get to my problem, lemme give y'all some background...

Background:
    In January, I began to doubt my sexuality. My whole life, the only thing I had ever heard of was being straight, so I just assumed I was. After a few weeks, I was almost sure I was bi. I am out at a biromanitic asexual (although I think it is demisexual....) to a few friends, and am planning to come out as bi to some other friends.

Around the same time, my school was doing a politics unit (the civil war) and we were doing a simulation of writing the constitution. Of course, we were talking modern politics out side of class, and of course we came to the topic of LGBT marriage. I learned about some homophobes in my class, so I came home fumming, and brought the topic up with my parents.

My mom had nothing to say. Nothing. Not even 'don't listen to them' or something like that. Nothing.

My dad went on a rant. About? How same-sex marriage isn't real marriage. How wanting to marry who you love, if they happen to be the same gender, is 'shoving their life style down everyone's throats'. How the federal goverment overturning the ban on same-sex marriage is RUDE TO AMERICANS BECAUSE A 'MINORITY' WANTS TO MARRY. :bang: :bang:

My older sister is the only other family member who lives on this side of the planet, and is old enough to know what 'bisexual' means. However, I doubt she would approve, given that she wasn't to warm to me being in my school's GSA.

Next year, I'm going to a catholic privet school. I don't know if they are accepting of the LGBT community, and I don't know how to bring it up in a conversation. In a few years, I will be going to collage.

Problem:
    I have no clue what to do. I want to come out to my family, it kills me a little knowing that they don't know. I don't think I would be safe if I told them. My parent's are kinda emotionally distant to my problems, and I can already see it happening to my little sister, which also kills me...

Thing is, if I do tell, I might get kicked out, disowned, or hated even more by my parents. I cry myself to sleep enough just because of school, and I don't want this to go on top.

Should I wait till I can support myself to tell my parents? What if I like a girl before that? How to I find out if my school is LGBT friendly? Should I come out of the closet to my family?

Please help! :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

2. Loira

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. Giving advice in this situations is not easy but as you talk about school I'm going to guess you are still young and dependent of your parents. There is one thing I have always heard and I agree with, if your life might come crashing down if you come out...wait. I know it might not sound like the best advice but your safety is first and if that is a concern of yours you shouldn't risk it. Really, don't put yourself at risk, please.

About the school... I guess every school is different, even among catholic schools. I live in Spain and here there are some catholic schools who are accepting and other that pretty much the opposite. Just relax and don't rush things.

(*hug*)

3. supernova

Out Status:
    All but family
    What if I find a girl who I really like, and I want to date her, but I'm not out? Do I come out so i can be with her? Or do i just lie to my parents?

4. Loira

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am the kind of person who doesn't talk about relationships with her parents (not when I was still dating guys) so my advice probably is not good... I just really don't want you to end up in a dangerous situation...

If you meet someone, just talk to her and explain what's going on with your family, I believe most people will understand.

I really wish I could be of more help... just let me know if you need anything (*hug*)

And be safe

5. Bori1979

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That is a big problem but just like the other comments I would tell you to wait. The person that does not understand and is not willing to be with you on your terms it may not be the one. I came out when I was 29 and my family still has a problem with it, I am old enough to support my self. So wait till the right time, your family may never be ok with it but you have to be ready for any positive or negative outcome.