1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my stepdad. Not sure if I should tell my mother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sunny81, Jun 21, 2014.

1. sunny81

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I came out to my stepfather last night. We had been sitting on the porch talking for awhile, and I just felt the time was right. He took it really well, except that he doesn't believe I'm a lesbian because I was married to a man for so many years. He thinks that means that I must be bisexual. I didn't argue with him, but I told him that yes, I'm sure that I'm a lesbian. I told him that I want to tell my mother, but I don't know if she'll take it as well as he did. He offered to tell her for me, but I told him I would rather do it.
    Later in the evening I had a few minutes alone with my mom and I told her that my stepdad had a serious conversation and that I had something important to tell her. She told me that I didn't need to tell her what it was. She didn't want to know.
    The thing is, I have already told her, years ago when I was 11 or so. She told me at that time to just pray about it & god would "deliver me". We never talked about it again & that was 20 years ago.
    So, I'm sure she knew last night what I was about to tell her. I think she's just uncomfortable with it or in denial. Should I try to bring it up to her again or just let it go?

2. Mejj

That depends on how important it is to you that she accepts it.
    When you say she might be in denial, then she might not accept it right away, and it could be a really uncomfortable situation for both of you.
    But imagine if you met a nice woman and you want your parents to meet her. Or if she asks you if there is someone in your life right now. Would you want to lie to her?

If I were you, I´d tell her and make sure that she really faces the fact that you like woman, because if she´s trying to deny it, that could probably hurt you very much.
    But it´s up to you to decite. It´s just a matter of how important it is for you to let your mother be a part of your (love)life.

3. Najlen

I agree with Mejj. You should try again, if it's important to you that she knows. It sounds like she doesn't want to believe that she has a gay daughter, but she does and at some point, she will have to face the truth. Good luck.

P.S. sunny, I love your avatar!