1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out via text to best friend - better done briefly or more elaborate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IJustWantToLove, Jun 21, 2014.

1. IJustWantToLove

Hey,

I more or less decided on coming out to my best friend via text message, since everytime I see her in person I chicken out and am not able to say it, even though I think it's a bit weak and unpersonal... and since last night I more or less came out to a guy I barely know I think it is probably time to finally come out to my best friend =/

But now I don't know what to write. I guess I have two options, sending a short statement or elaborating a bit more? I've come up with this so far:

Short: "You know the party last night I mentioned? I was dancing with that one guy, a friend of the others, but sort of kept my distance and then later he asked me if I maybe was gay. I didn't know how to answer that 'cause I didn't want to lie..."

A bit longer: "Hey, there's something on my mind which bothers me for quite some time now and I feel like I have to share it with someone, but everytime we talk I chicken out. But you are my best friend and I trust you and whom can I tell if not you? Honestly, I don't even really know HOW I should say it, because I don't actually know WHAT I should say, since I'm still trying to figure things out. I guess what comes closest would be to say, I think I am not straight?!
    You know the party last night I mentioned? I was dancing with that one guy, a friend of the others, but sort of kept my distance and then later he asked me if I maybe was gay, because apparantly in his opinion I looked somewhat gay. I didn't know how to answer that 'cause I didn't want to lie...
    I'm glad I was able to get this off my chest, but I would appreciate it if that was kept between the two of us for now."

What do you guys think would be better? Or are both options rubbish?
    Please help :help:

2. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I came out to my Dad over text. I really like your long one, I would really go with that, if the person is really trustworthy to you.

3. FireRose2071

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out through text message isn't a bad thing. If you have a hard time coming out in person, maybe text would be beneficial. The long text seems like a good idea :slight_smile:

4. IJustWantToLove

Thanks for your responses =)

I think I can trust her, she's my best friend after all, and she was really good with secrets so far :wink:

Or do you think I should write something beforehand like:
    "I can tell you everything, right? Even if it might sound a bit weird to you?"
    Because I honestly have no idea, if she has an idea or if it will totally be out of the blue...

5. AmiBee

If it helps you to prepare, go ahead and make a draft of a coming out text to your friend. You know in your heart if she'll be ok with it. Go with your gut.

6. Silver Sparrow

I think the long one is better. Do you have character limits to your text messages (when I send long texts, they get broken up and arrive in weird order- I don't want that to happen to you)?

7. IJustWantToLove

Silver Sparrow: No, I don't plan on using standard SMS, so number of characters shouldn't be my problem :slight_smile:

8. kyrtap

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Like others have said there is nothing wrong with using a text, I have only came out to one person in person and dam was that hard, everyone I did it over a txt. I also like the long one. Good luck hope everything goes well.

9. jnr183

I think text is fine. I have really only come out in writing first. It's easier to say what you want to say then let them respond. Some say you don't get instant feedback, but I think it allows the recipient some time to process the information, especially if you don't think she will expect it.

I wish you the best. Good luck!

10. IJustWantToLove

I did it, finally pressend the send button. Now it's wait and see...
    Thanks for your responses, I did go with the long one.

11. IJustWantToLove

I think I probably have the best friend in the whole world.
    She took it really good and was nothing but supportive =D

12. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

So great to hear!!!! :slight_smile:

13. Vaettfang

Congrats!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: