1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to classmates and other people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Teen, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Teen

Teen Guest

Hi there!

They only people who know I'm bisexual are my parents and cousins. How can I let my classmates and other important people know I'm bisexual? Would you recommend posting a picture on Instagram and/or Facebook with - let's say, e.g. - the bisexual pride flag? Or write something on Facebook in a status? I'd rather not tell my classmates in person, due to the fear of being yelled at.

Greetings,
    Teen

2. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you're further than me on the family front! XD I don't plan to tell my family until I am able to support myself, Incase they reject me.

What I did in school was draw a gay pride flag on my hand and wait for people to A) ask me why i had a rainbow flag on by hand or B) call me gay of having it there. This is pretty much how the conversations went:
    A)
    "What's that on your hand?"
    Me: a gay pride flag.
    "Oh. Are you gay or something. Hahahaha."
    Me: yes. Yes i am. Do you have a problem with that?
    *bewildered person walks away*

Or B)
    "Oi, you know that's a gay pride flag on your hand, right?!"
    Me: your concern for my eyesight does you well. Cretin.
    "Hahaha! Lesbian!"
    Me: yep. Any problems?
    "Uhh... Um... Nope..."

These were with two friends,but I'd rather tell my classmates flat out that I'm a lesbian and that I'm proud and not ashamed, so that they don't have anything to bully me with, than let the word get out slowly and people think that I'm afraid and so bully me.

Just a suggestion, hope you find a way to come out that suits you :slight_smile: xXx

3. mangotree

Lots of people come out on social media.
    Just make sure that everyone you're "friends" with on the site are people that you want to know and/or are likely to accept you for who you are.
    Perhaps a more subtle way might be to "like" or "follow" certain pages, news, people, movies etc...
    E.g. George Takie, Lizzy the Lezzy, SameSame, gay pride, your local gay newspaper / magazine, your country's marriage equality page, that sort of thing...

Also, why do you think your friends will yell at you when you tell them in person? Do you KNOW that this will happen? or is it just a fear in your mind? If they're likely to react negatively, are you sure you want them all to know at this early stage of your life?
    I know it's really great to be free and open, but if you KNOW it's going to make your life difficult, maybe wait until later - so when you come by someone negative you can just walk away from them and never see them again.

Peace be with you (*hug*) and good luck.

4. jaxianrhyder

no i think u should tell them one at a time starting w ur bff