1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To My Therapist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShameCloset, Jun 22, 2014.

1. ShameCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know what to do. I asked my mom to make me an appointment with my therapist, because I "need advice for something from someone who is not in my everyday life." I wanted advice about thinking that I'm Bi. See I've written into advice columns or YouTube advice videos but I don't have a straight answer. One person said "Bi is a copout for people who don't want to choose." And the youtuber sad "it might just be teenage hormones so you'd screw anything,..." And the thing is now they're making me doubt/suppress it. I've always liked guys but just recently I've been piecing it together, like I would look at girls boobs when they were wearin a low cut shirt and i would be attracted to them, but then completely denied and suppressed it. Then this year I had a 3 way with my boyfriend then ex now, and one of my best friends. And I was equally attracted to both of them. However, I never had a crush on girls, only ever guys. Until this year, I was going to a movie with this girl and I was super nervous, and I wanted so bad for her to like me. I wanted her to text me first, and all that... The qualities of having a crush. So now I don't know what to do. I want to tell my shrink and ask her opinion but I don't know why... I'm terrified. I've only ever come out to 2 people before who are bi themselves so obviously have positive opinions on it. I know my therapist shouldn't be judgemental but I'm still scared. How to I get over it?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You probably already know this, but what those YTers said was pure bullshit.

Having that said, I'm in a weird situation with therapy. There's a chance I may go, so I'm very anxious about coming out to my doctor. After mulling it over for a while, though, I decide it may be good to write a note beforehand and hand it to him, or, if he asks questions, I can bring a notepad in to write my responses down instead of stammering for five minutes.

Maybe that will work for you?

Best of luck.

3. TheStormInside

Well, first of all, as Nychthemeron said, that stuff about bisexuality is just stereotypical crap, and untrue.

I'm talking to my therapist about my sexuality this week, and I'm also incredibly nervous. I've already emailed her about it so she knows a bit of what's on my mind. Can you email your therapist about it ahead of time?

One thing my friend keeps reminding me is that she's a therapist and she's heard it all, and I'm not the only LGB client she's had, and probably not the only one to come out to her. Likely it'll be the same case for you, as well. It's still scary, of course, but it might be helpful to keep that in mind.