1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Logan0001, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Logan0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't talked to her directly with my mom about it, but I don't think she would be very supportive. I remember riding in the car with her one day and the radio was talking about Chaz Bono and she said it was a shame. I didn't say anything, I think that might have been the first time I had heard about being transgendered. Recently she saw the Time magazine and I was reading the article about transgendered people in front of her to see if she'd say anything, and she said "Is that a man?" in a kind of grossed out voice about Laverne Cox. I told her no and she didn't say anything else.

I've always fought with her over clothes. I always have to get clothing from the women's section. Recently however, she has let me buy men's jeans, it might be because she's tired of me complaining that the women's jeans are too tight to work in. Once when I was in middle school she let me buy shirts from the boy's section I think it was just because she didn't want to argue. Anytime I find clothes I want she usually says "everyone will think you're a boy". I am lucky that I can pass pretty easily, but it's annoying that I can't get any clothes I want. Usually I deny that it looks like men's clothing and that I want it just because it's comfortable. When she does let me buy clothing I feel comfortable in, she likes to tell everyone about my "boy" clothes, especially when we have guests, and my brother joins in too. She recently bought me men's sandals and she did so without much arguing , but now every time I wear them she says they're the ugliest shoes ever and that I look like a man.

I have no idea what my dad would think. He's always been more accepting of me than my mom. He let me play football, and would practice with me and usually just lets me do what I feel most comfortable doing, but he does occasionally annoy me about being a girl especially when I have to dress up.

Should I come out? I don't want trouble, but I don't know what else to do. I've been thinking about keeping it quiet until college or after and to start transitioning when I'm living on my own, but I also want to have the correct body as soon as possible. Have any other FTMs had relatives like that? What did you do to come out to them?

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I'd say you don't have the worst parents out there, neither the best.
    Regarding LGBT acceptance, anyway.

You write alot about your mum buying you clothes, I take it you are still quite young?
    If you are convinced that coming out will be trouble, it might be wiser to hold off on coming out until you are more independent, especially if they are making fun of your choice of attire when you are not even out yet.

Maybe start with a best friend who doesn't make fun of you, if you feel like you absolutely need to come out to someone?

#2 Black Raven, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. Logan0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I'm a sophomore in high school. I do have pretty accepting friends and more than one out of the closet in the LGBT community, I guess I should talk to them first. I'm out of school now, and have more time with my family than with my friends so I guess that's why this is such an issue for me now. Thanks for the help!

4. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It sounds like now might - MIGHT - not be the time to come out to your family. It sounds to me like any negative reaction on your parents' part has the potential to really hurt you. On the other hand, you - of course - are the only one who can make this decision! Have you spoken with any local support groups? I know not every town or city has one, but have you looked into it?