1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help coming out to parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alliesgirl, Jun 22, 2014.

1. alliesgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I'm out to most of my friends that I actually care about, but not to my parents. They're christian, and kind of homophobic, and I've waited long enough to tell them. My mum suspects that I'm lesbian, cause I told her I don't like guys, and she asked if I liked girls, but I just steered away from that conversation, cause no matter what I would have answered, it would have sounded phase-ish. So, any suggestions, guys?

2. AmiBee

No specific coming out suggestions, but these are my thoughts. If you think that your parents will have an extremely negative reaction (kick you out or make your life hell while living with them), don't do it. You have to keep yourself safe and cared for until you can support yourself on your own. Otherwise, if you expect their reaction to be less extreme, still be prepared for less than acceptance. I've had several of my teen students tell me about coming out to their parents. Fortunately, none have experienced extreme reactions. However, they do describe denial by parents, snide unsupportive comments and many misunderstandings. Good luck. Know that many people, including myself, have come out and continue to live happy fulfilling wonderful lives.

3. alliesgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks AmiBee, I don't think they'll kick me out, but again, I'm not sure they'll be totally supportive. They accept my cousin, who's a lesbian, (even if they think she's insane) so I think they'll accept me, I mean, I am their daughter.

4. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Have you talked with them about other LGBT issues?

5. alliesgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know how to bring it up. I mean, every know and then, I'll say something about the LGBT community in general and they just ignore it.

6. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay. Do you have particular idea as to whether you honestly believe it would be in your best interests to come out? It might, and of course it might not. What do you think?

7. gman025726

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How homophobic are they? Do say things like "faggot" or scoff when you bring up LGBT issues? Also how religious are they? How seriously do they take their faith? Do you think you can slowly change their hearts?