1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help coming out to mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dell, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Dell

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So awhile ago I finally came to terms about being trans and came out to some close friends one by one (of course my best friend knew how i felt about anything from the start) and eventually told my brother, younger sister, and now older sister, all with positive outcomes :33. The only person i know I would have trouble with is my mother, as i know she is a strong christian woman who doesn't really support the LGBT community. Except the funny part is my older sister told me my mother thinks I'm gay, I don't know how she feels about it really hehe. I told her that I need to see a to see a therapist for some "personal issues" and it bugs her alot know knowing the exact reason why. So she eventually told me that she would take me to a therapist who's office is at a church and is strongly associated with it, and not LGBT supportive. My gender dysphoria is bad and I don't think I can handle too much more and need some help. So I realized that the only way to get the help I need is to tell my mother, which scares me shitless. I don't think her reaction would be too bad (I.e getting kicked out) but i'm prepared in case it is. I fear she might not be supportive but I don't think I have any choice. Plus I have no idea how i would go about telling her that could help get a good reaction and help her know that im not going through a phase or anything of the sort. Any advice would be helpful

2. gman025726

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try to use her religion against her. Tell that Jesus cared for the sinners, and he never had an opinion on homosexualty. Tell her that you love her, no matter what, and that anything she says doesn't change her opinion on yourself, just your opinion of her. Are you 18? Can you live on your own?

3. Dell

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll be 18 in four months but I still have my whole senior year. At the moment she is the only one who could help me like get a good therapist. I want to transition as soon as possible and i don't want to regret waiting and hating my self more.

4. Vaettfang

I'd say go for it when you're ready. Don't try and rush into it, just do it when you're ready.

5. Dell

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I decided I was just going to tell her today! No paint waiting. My older sister offered to tell her for me because she talks to her about everything anyway. Hopefully she will believe it more if she hears it from her. We talked it over and she is going to call and tell her while she is out of town at work, this way she will have time to think about it and gather herself before talking to me herself. So I'll keep posted about what happens.

6. supernova

Out Status:
    All but family
    Good luck with telling your mom!!! Hope it goes well!!!