1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it make much of a difference to colleges

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Mind Freak

If you take mostly CP classes instead of honors?
    I'm thinking about taking world history honors instead of cp; and i'm already in english 2 honors.

My other two classes (biology, and geometry) are CP.

I'm trying to decide if I should switch to honors history or not.

What do you think?
    Does it make that big of a difference to colleges?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where CP stands for college prep, I'm assuming?

If you think you could handle the honors course without having your brain derail, it might not be a bad idea. But then again, I don't think having three honors courses instead of four (say) is going to be a make-or-break thing. Better to get a great grade in the CP course than to get a lousy one in the honors course.

Lex

3. Mind Freak

Yes. CP is college prep.
    I was thinking that too.

I'm pretty decent at history stuff though; mostly because I'm good at cramming for tests. ; p

4. string3343

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ummmm... yes it does make a big difference. I am going into 10th grade (and from your courses it seems like you are too). I am like a freaky nerd (and not ashamed to admit it) so I could probably answer any of your questions about colleges. As far as the difference between CP and Honors courses, it really depends on what kind of college you want to go to. If you want to go to a top University you need to be taking all honors, but if you want to go somewhere in the middle that is not necessary. What colleges have you been considering? In general, I would suggest taking as many honors courses as you can handle because colleges do like to see a strong course load. If you have anymore questions I would be happy to answer them XD!

5. Miles D

My counselors always told me that colleges would rather see a "B" in an advanced/harder class than an "A+" in a regular class...

6. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does depend on what you're planning to do and where you want to go. I started 9th grade in honors english and history, but just about flunked both. Found I learned just as much in the non-honors class and still got into a great school. I'm sure you know extra-curricular activities are big factors as well. I didn't have all the honors classes, but had As in regular classes and had some CompTIA (computer networking) certifications.

Also, I didn't understand math until I was in 11th grade, but ended up with a minor in math when all said and done. Never took AP Calc in hs or anything like that. In retrospect, I think I learned cal better in college (3 semester program).

7. Derek the Wolf

HUGE difference. The number one thing colleges are interested in, over test scores, rankings, or GPA, is Strength of Schedule. That is absolutely #1. I'm taking 4 AP classes this year, bringing my grand total to 7. Getting a B in an AP class is better than an A in a regular class. It shows colleges that you're challenging yourself.